Do You lock your bike ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
usually only time i need to lock them is if i have them in the back of my truck. i use pretty heavy chain i keep in th bed that could tow a car. so i just brought a padlock (to lock it in the bed itself) and i lock whatever bike i'm carrying with it.

beyond that, i have a chain lock if i want to ride somewhere and be off the bike (not too often), and one bike (i think. i may have taken it off) has a little loop looking lock that attatches where a rear caliper brake would be. you push the button to loop it through the wheel and a key snaps it back. i wouldn't trust for more than if i were still near the bike but maybe had my back turned or something.

i live in nj, just across the bridge from philly, and I've never had a bike stolen in my adult life, except one time when i left a mtb unlocked by my girlfriend's house. We were like 10 or 15 yards away, on her back deck, and it was leaning on the side of her house. Someone jumped on it and rode off without us even hearing. (I actually got it back, many months later.) But, I've never had a locked bike stolen, and i commute. I know how quick n easy it is to bust even a high-quality lock, but are things really that bad for y'all? I don't leave bikes outside over night, but i go to bars in philly with just a u-lock and cables for wheels, and never had anything stolen...

-rob

the lock you use on your bike DIRECTLY reflects on just how much you value your bike.....
don't leave it for too long, and don't go far......

drop some coin, and buy the best lock money can buy. because you're going to feel horrible after you beat that bike thief into a grease spot on the sidewalk for touching your RRB build off ride :shock:

I wonder if they make any brass knuckle pedals.....they'd look great on my chopper build and work as anti theft too.....remove the pedal when you leave it unattended and you have rendered the bike un-rideable and have a brass knuckle paperweight...... :lol: :wink: :lol:

When we ride with a group i.e. the Pub Pedal we don't lock our bikes. None of the group does. Something about strength in numbers I suppose. Well also there is almost always somebody out with the bikes. By myself and with the wife I do lock them. I generally use the Master handcuff lock and just lock our 2 bikes together.
When traveling the bikes are left overnight in the back of the truck. I lock them with chain locks to the tie downs in the bed, cable lock them to one another and the forks are locked into the rack. Sometimes I'll put the front wheels inside the truck and the seats also if they are bikes with quick release seat post clamps.

If it is out of my immediate reach, it gets a lock. If I lost my bike, I'd be walking everywhere.

I can remember the good old days when I could leave my bike unlocked, sitting on it's kickstand outside my back door with the porch light on and leave it overnight without worrying about it. Unfortunately those days are gone. Now I can leave a scrap frame outside next to my shed and someone will steal it for scrap.

Back