Do you ride your rat rod for serious exercise?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am out on my bike, working up a sweat, trying to lose weight, trying to get in shape...I never see anybody on bikes like seen in the galleries on this site. Do you strictly ride your rat rod bike for casual, light fun?...or do you pound the ground on it and do serious exercise? I'm turning my single-speed/fixed Kona A'ha into a board tracker, but it's my "everything" bike. Even after I finish the build and have the reversed/dropped bars and Brooks spring saddle, it will be my "work out" bike. I get scoffs from some of the hard core roadies as they fly by me when I'm out on the "serious" bike paths far from the "common folk parking lots" and it just makes me laugh. If anything, I'm getting a better workout than them. My bike weighs at least 20+ lbs. more than theirs, I'm not aerodynamic at all, I have one gear/speed, etc., etc., etc. Speed has no bearing on strength or exertion, neither does price. And I have to admit, it's fun to pull up next to some of these guys when we're way out on the paths where only the serious tread, them in their tights, aerodynamic ear buds with micro-iPod, bike and outfit covered in faux sponsors, razor Oakleys, etc., and me in my baggy cargo shorts, sporting classic over-the-ear cans with spiral cord to my "classic" iPod, camera & GPS in one pocket, iPod & snack in another pocket, oversized bottle mounted on frame (sometimes with water, sometimes with something more fun), one-speed, balloon tires, tie-dye and Aviators.

With all that in mind, do you use your "rod" for serious exercise, or do you have a different "normal" bike for that?

I don't have any bikes newer than '67 . All are single speed , though I'm working on some 2 & 3 speeds :wink: I've been riding often , now that the weather has broke , trying to get in shape after a hard winter , but I wouldn't call it a "serious" workout . And I'm usually dressed like a bum :p I agree that the heavy , wide tire behemoths are more work , and more satisfaction :!:

I guess you could say that :mrgreen: I ride my bike ALL the time so yeah :wink:

My cruiser was my primary form of transportation for a few months. Somebody rode a century on their single speed Worksman. I rode a century on my rusty 10 speed. There was a guy that would ride laps on his Schwinn cantilever frame around the parking lot in front of the (free) shop where I volunteered. However, most people I see in the midst of 'serious exercise' are on multi-thousand dollar carbon fiber kits.

My daily ride is 6 miles round trip to work. It's flat and not much of a workout until it gets hot, then I should drop some pounds.

Korporal said:
most people I see in the midst of 'serious exercise' are on multi-thousand dollar carbon fiber kits.
Exactly. Somebody should explain that they would get MORE exercise on a heavy klunker for a mere fraction of the price.

Gururyan said:
Korporal said:
most people I see in the midst of 'serious exercise' are on multi-thousand dollar carbon fiber kits.
Exactly. Somebody should explain that they would get MORE exercise on a heavy klunker for a mere fraction of the price.

i know it's fashionable in a reverse status sort of way here on rrb to poke fun at lycra clad folks on quality bikes but when we ride our heavy rat bikes we're not really getting a 'better' workout. riding a good road bike allows you to get a controlled cardiovascular workout without unneccesary wear and tear on joints, especially the knees, from pounding a heavy bike or riding in an inefficient position. people in a weightlifting regimen do more than dead lift their maximum, people running for fitness don't use cowboy boots, and people looking to see real long term gains in their cycling fitness will reap more benefits from the proper equipment and techniques as well...... :)

Other than "seriously" needing a beer or pack of smokes ;)...ha... my Rats are not for more than 5 or 10 miles at a time.

Back