does any one know how to make 26inch rims wider?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would love to find out im more of a hands on guy and just dont have the cash to buy them... was wondering if any one know how to do this... i know im asking alot but im desperate its my old mans birth day comin up soon and he like his bike with huge tires and rims.... if any one can help it would be very appericiated thanx for you time bros

For bucks down, you cant beat just using as big a tire on the rims you have (at least for now) as the bike frame and chainline will allow you to fit. Then keep you nose in the wind for a good deal on the wide rims that the bike can take, and the right spoke count for your hubs.

the thing is people on here have done it i just cant find the post (so im not stuck with what i got ... unless i find the post again :cry: ) plus the frame is completely scratch built and built specifically for wider tires and rims so there is a ton of clearance ...... thanx for you input though guys appreciate what you guys have done ... happy building

thanx for the links von stans... oh and dogdart you could of said it with out attitude bro... and im happy with the skills i have and will continue to gain thanx to all the other great builders on this site. im 18 and just started this hobby and wanted to give my pops something nice for his b day thats all .... any way have a great day and build on rat rodders :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chips_Mahoy said:
I did it on my REAPER build. You'll need to get one of the OCC Stingray bikes to sacrifice tho....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48818&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=reaper
that reaper looks awsome bro!!!!!! sadly im low on funds and parts bro i dont have access to alot of good stuff like you guys :p having been laid off and on a tight budget its hard but ill keep looking and and keep on truckin (and or bikein) thanx again and sweet reaper bike 8) 8)

deven_science said:
I've seen the Wise Guy that Von Stans linked to, and it looks great.
yeah i just dont have access to a sheet roller i have thought of this but again lack of tools keep me down... some people just cant under stand that... by the way sweet avatar bro :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I started building my first chopper, a 48 HD panhead, when I was 16. That was before the days of buyin' much for off the shelf custom parts, you modded or built what you wanted from scratch. My 'mentors' were the tail end of the true 'old timers'.
You got a great start and a good attitude, rat on dude, life is good!

Thank you sir! I've been pondering widening a rim myself for awhile. I was going to find the widest steel rim i could, cut the outer lips off each side, and thenweld in a 1/2 strip of metal on each side. Then the lips will be welded back on and the wheel laced or re-laced. I'll probably have to double up on the wheel liners but I think it COULD work. The strips that would be welded in would protrude from the inside of the rim by the spokes/nipples but I was going to go with an industrial like look with it.

gato'sbikes said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
I did it on my REAPER build. You'll need to get one of the OCC Stingray bikes to sacrifice tho....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48818&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=reaper
that reaper looks awsome bro!!!!!! sadly im low on funds and parts bro i dont have access to alot of good stuff like you guys :p having been laid off and on a tight budget its hard but ill keep looking and and keep on truckin (and or bikein) thanx again and sweet reaper bike 8) 8)

I can't say this was an easy way to widen wheels, viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39719 but I am happy with the outcome, I ended up having a machinist buddy weld the two alloy wheels together, no easy feat , then I laced up the three speed hub with a little trial and error. I am running two tubes in the slick. Good luck with your build.

Latest posts

Back