Don't dump it..."CRUMPET"...OUT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's what I' using, a 60 something Raleigh Sprite 5spd, that someone converted to a 3spd, who knows when. I want to keep it looking old, and I want to keep it looking English..........But I want it stretched and lowered.......SOOOO not a burrito.....but a "CRUMPET"
005-11.jpg

Can't wait to see what everyone else is gonna build.............I'm kinda hoping that Graylock builds a recumbent tandem tall swing bike!

Re: Don't dump it..."CRUMPET"

KOTA said:
Can't wait to see what everyone else is gonna build.............I'm kinda hoping that Graylock builds a recumbent tandem tall swing bike!

Close. No sneak peeking KOTA. How 'bout a tall cargo bike. I need one of those in my fleet. The recumbent bike X-Treme will be a later build.

Are we officialy off to the build?

Gl

Graylock said:
Are we officialy off to the build?

Gl
I is!..........But I probably won't do anything until Dec. 1st.

deorman said:
What, no sissy bar? :?
BY GEORGE...........I THINK HE'S GOT IT!

Forgot to post what I want it to look like in the end.... Still have to go "dig" it out of the pile. Paid $12 for this bike. Plan on spending money only on electricity and argon. :roll:
scan00012-Copy.jpg

KOTA said:
Forgot to post what I want it to look like in the end.... Still have to go "dig" it out of the pile. Paid $12 for this bike. Plan on spending money only on electricity and argon. :roll:
scan00012-Copy.jpg

All you need now is a tweed jacket with elbow patches and diamond encrusted smoking pipe....a little "English Bling"?? 8)

Got a little snag in the plan so far. MarkM (NICE guy) was going to GIVE me another Raleigh frame to use for the stretch. But it turned out it was a different color green. So I'm looking for an OLIVE green colored Raleigh frame, ANY condition, men's or women's. I don't want to paint this thing, just want to blend the welds and flat black them (should be a total of only 4 welds).........So PM me if anyone's got an OLIVE Raleigh frame, rattier the better.
Besides that this is about all I want to use. :roll:

001-34.jpg

My poor wife just had rotator cuff surgery, last Friday. So I've been playing "nurse". She had the other shoulder done about a year and a half ago. So I haven't had time to build, just observe.....And one of the few things that comes before bikes is HUNTING. And that's about to begin. So fall is not my favorite time to work on bikes, that's why I picked a very mild build..... Still have to get everything ready for winter, yard work, cut more firewood blah blah. If anything this bike will be one of the last ones done, but it WILL get done!...I plan on using it for the ride in New Haven this weekend, then disassemble and start cutting. I still have time to check everyone else's build, and bust nut. :D

Crumpets were an Anglo-Saxon invention. In early times, they were hard pancakes cooked on a griddle, rather than the soft and spongy crumpets of the Victorian era which were made with yeast. The crumpet-makers of the Midlands and London developed the characteristic holes, by adding extra baking powder to the yeast dough. The term itself may refer to a crumpled or curled-up cake, or have Celtic origins relating to the Breton krampoez meaning a "thin, flat cake" and the Welsh crempog or crempot, a type of pancake. Since many English words have roots in other Germanic languages, another possible root is the similar German word krumm (from Middle High German krump, krum) which means "bent".[1]
The English crumpet

Crumpets are generally circular though rectangular varieties also exist. They have a distinctive flat top with many small pores and a resilient, slightly spongy texture, being very porous. Crumpets alone are bland and generally eaten hot with a topping (usually butter). Other popular accompaniments include cheese when melted on top of the crumpet, honey, poached egg, jam, Marmite, salt, marmalade, peanut butter, cheese spread, golden syrup, lemon curd, maple syrup and Vegemite. In Australia, square crumpets can be purchased from supermarkets, designed to easily fit in a standard toaster.[citation needed]

A pikelet is similar to a crumpet, but thinner, without holes and sometimes irregularly shaped. However, the meaning of pikelet varies: in some regions of Britain it traditionally refers to a crumpet (for example in the Midlands) around Wolverhampton, muffin or other teacake. In other British regions, Australia and New Zealand, it refers to a Scotch pancake.
A Scottish crumpet is made from the same ingredients as a Scottish pancake, and is about 180 mm (7 inches) diameter and 8 mm (0.3 inches) thick. They are available plain, or as a fruit crumpet with raisins baked in, and are not reheated before serving; condiments include jam, vegemite and marmite. The ingredients include a raising agent, usually baking powder, and different proportions of eggs, flour and milk which create a thin batter. Unlike a pancake, they are cooked to brown on one side only, resulting in a smooth darker side where it has been heated by the griddle, then lightly cooked on the other side which has holes where bubbles have risen to the surface during cooking.[2] It bears little resemblance to the English crumpet, and is not generally found in England.

This is the normal kind of crumpet in bakers' shops in Scotland, tea rooms, and cafés, though the English type of crumpet is often obtainable in supermarkets in addition to the Scottish kind.

now its not quiet :p
deer or birds?

sensor said:
deer or birds?
BOTH!

I'm retiring on 10/31 :D ......So I should have time for everything!

sensor said:
Crumpets are generally circular though rectangular varieties also exist. They have a distinctive flat top with many small pores and a resilient, slightly spongy texture, being very porous.

Hey! That sounds like ME!........I'm a "Crumpet". :lol:

Hey Sensor was there any mention of a pop tart in there.....I got hungry and had to go find a Twinkie.
Kota your going to love retirement. It feels so good it makes you feel like your doing something wrong. Just for fun I call my Sargent sometimes and tell him I'm calling in sick. It takes him a few minutes to remember that I'm retired. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be one flaky crumpet entering a skinny tired English bike in a build off! :lol:
Looks good, best of luck at home and in the B.O.

Back