don't forget to inspect your drivetrain periodically...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my '64 Schwinn Typhoon (Bendix RB2 hub) started making some creaking noises a few rides ago, and for once it wasn't the Brooks saddle:

I figured maybe the crank had loosened up a bit, so I had a look at it yesterday after a brief ride. Here's what I found:

The locating hole on the orig-style chainring had three large cracks in it and was almost at the point of total failure, meaning I would have lost drive plus likely braking as well.....

I have a stash of used rings that I was going to go through to pick out a replacement, until I found this in my goodies box:

Life's short, go NOS when you can!

I last had this bike apart last summer, so it hasn't been long since I gave everything a good inspection. I put a new chain on it about a month ago and didn't see anything amiss at that time either. And I frequently hit about 35mph coming down off the huge hill coming home from my gf's place, in fact I did it last Sunday.....

So just a reminder to all of us that have bikes with only the coaster for braking, don't forget to have a quick look at your drivetrain every now and again....

cheers

greg v.

That's one reason I like Indiana, nice and flat so if my brakes fail I just coast to a stop. Also it's a good idea to add a secondary braking system to your bike like a hand brake or similar.

Back last summer I was test riding my moms cruiser, probably 6 or 7 years old with almost no miles. When I went to ride up into the alley and the pin on the crank snapped off and almost wiped out. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to press weld a crank and pin together.

Back