don't have a cool name, but i do have a plan-avenger build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
avenger isn't the name of the bike i'm building. i'm using an old ccm avenger as my base. i'll figure out a name as i go.
gonna do this one alittle differently than usual in the spirit of the build off rules.
i'm gonna keep this a bolt on/clamp on /screw on/ glue on kinda build. no welding required.

the avenger-donor bike. i've always thought the frame looked cool the way it sits without the rear tire, so i'm rolling with it.
i wanted something down right ratty! the recent wave of bikes with extra rear ends welded to the frame is the inspiration behind this build.
IMG_0124.jpg

and heres the concept.
IMG_0156.jpg

the extra bars are bolt on rear stays from an old raleigh.
IMG_0158.jpg

all the rest of the parts are from around the house.
once again, following the rules, i'm gonna keep this one dirt cheap.

it don't look like much, but i have more than a few surprizes for ya.

Bolting on to the seat clamp, GREAT idea!.............Careful not to reveal TO much.....Not everybody has entered yet!.. Some of "us" (OH! Not I ) are waiting, to steal ALL the GOOD ideas and put them on one bike. :roll: I'm thinking some one is gonna do a........never mind.

GOOD LUCK........."WE'LL" be watchin.

the bolt on rear stays connected to the seatpost clamp is actually old school raleigh tech.
i just unbolted them from this 28" canadian, and stuck em on the avenger.
IMG_4913.jpg

that names growing on me, maybe i'll use it (or part of it)

as for copying, well you know what they say....

.... its the best form of flatery
i'm not looking to win this thing. theres way to much talent floating around these parts. just want to have some fun competing.
so if theres something you like, be my guest.
i'm looking forward to seeing at least a one chain activated coaster front brake in this build off. :wink:

well unfortunatly (or fortunatly for me) due to a series of strange events and a lost delivery dude with way more money than sence, i no longer have an avenger to build. i'm $200 richer, but without plan for the build off. :) i don't want to break any rules by changing my donor bike for the build, so i'm gonna continue this build using only one of the 2 donor bikes. the 1960's raleigh canadiana. i have no idea what dirrection i will go with this new build. i have a few other bikes i could use, but i thought this was more of a challange.

so this is the only frame i'll be using, and i still have a fantastic idea for those bolt on stays.
IMG_4913.jpg

i figure it wont be easy or cheap finding a 28" set of tires, so i'll be using the rims and uniroyal chain tread tires found on lucky 13, when see wasn't so lucky.
IMG_4547-1.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

i'll still follow the same set of rules i laid out for myself.

btw if any body needs a decent set of 28x1 3/4" dunlop rims, i have a set that will clean up nicely and i'll probably never use.

herr_rudolf said:
That rake looks like a natural to me. Love it. Fastned to the seatklampbolt.. Nice thinkin'!
i was also really digging the dirrection of the build, but $200 is $200. here's what happened.

i was on the porch working on the bike when guy in a delivery truck pulls up. he gets outta the truck with a large bunch of flowers. hello's where passed and dude starts talking to me about the avenger. i explained about the build off etc, the enitre time guy still has the flowers in his hand. (hasn't mentioned em yet) guess he collects supercycles, and he offered me $200 for the frame and any other parts i had for the bike. i took it. (only the yellow bike was sold) he gave me a $50 deposit and said he'd be back this week to pick up the bike. (couldn't take it back to work with him.) it wasn't till after the transaction, that he realized he had the correct house number, but the wrong street.
who know's, maybe he wont be able to find his way back and i'll be $50 richer and still have the avenger. lol i know he has a lousey sence of dirrection.lol
so the build has taken an entirely new dirrection.

hey kota, will a 28" x 1 1/2" tire fit on a 28"x1 3/4" rim? these old sizes confuze the heck outta me.
a 20x 1 3/8" rim isn't even close to a modern 20,
IMG_0180.jpg

i'm just wondering how big a difference there will be between the 28x1 3/4 and the 28x 1 1/2.
one of the rules i set out for myself was to keep this dirt cheap (really don't want to have to purchase a thing other than paint) with that inmind, i think these 24"s are the perfect fit.

since the rear stays are removeable, i can remove them, drill them, mount the rear hub between them and then fasten them back to the bike.
IMG_0179.jpg

i would much prefer to be building the avenger, but i'll role with the punches.
i didn't want to build another boardtracker for the buildoff,(wanted something down right ratty) but that looks like the dirrection i'll be going with this particular frame.
IMG_0178.jpg

well with the sale of the avenger i totally lost my way with this build. until last night in the wee hours, i didn't have a clue as to what dirrection this build would take.
caught some old surfin footage on the tube, and a light bulb went off.
i know it isn't a cycle truck, however thats gonna be my inspiration.

cycle truck turned surf/reef rat.
IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

i bent the forks and put the rear axle in the rear stays. this droped the 28"er low enough the cranks bottom out on the ground. i'll be using the crank i originally had for this build.
IMG_0188-1.jpg

still haven't made my mind up which bars i'll use for the build.
IMG_0186.jpg

(feel free to voice your opinions)

so build cost. (anything i've purchased more than a year ago i'm considering free) just using up unused parts. :)

raleigh frame $5
rims/tires $0 ( although i payed $20 for lucky 13 which included these rims and tires. i figure the frame
payed for itself and these where pretty much free bee's )
seat $10
bars,crank,light etc free (more than a year in my possesion)
sk8 and tiki's free (gifts and a $5 sk8- garage sale purchase many years ago-this sucker still has the original
saftey/warrenty stickers)
IMG_0197-1.jpg

metal plate free (came with the house)
lots of good stuff to come. :)

Oh yes the ol' 3 piece cranks,as many of us do, i still have a gouge in my ankle from those in my youth :lol: Really like the look your goin for!!!

N8NBOX said:
sad the avenger didn't make the cut but the build is still looking uber nice :). I love how you taped all 3 sets of bars on to see how they would look...def going to be doing that in the future :)
i often wheel the bikes into the living room so i can stare at em during commercials.
bars change the build so dramaticly that i usually set up a few different sets and ponder, until one stands out from the rest
onelesspedestrian said:
whoa! COOL! :shock:
got any side views of the different bars?
IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

well i woke up yesterday with every intention of painting the bike. i started and somehow painting my bike turned into painting a scooby doo mural. i've been alittle short on cash this month, so i jumped at the opertunity to make alittle extra moola.

so after 10 hours of painting, heres where i'm at.
3 hours left on the mural, and probably the same on the bike.
IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

i was gonna mask and spray the tiger shark on the bike, but figured a reef rat, needed a hand painted face.
i'll spray the little surf board confirmed kill counters.
IMG_0220.jpg

got alot on the go this long weekend. i'll probably be mia for most of it.
have a good long weekend guys and gals. be safe!

Looking good. The new wheel position gives it a nice stance. Good idea for the Surfboard kills.

Back