TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s another look, what do you think?
IMG_1126.jpeg

My Sturmey Archer 5 speed drum hub was still jammed up and had the freewheel remover stuck in it.
View attachment 265882
I had installed the tool with the axle nut holding it in place. With the drum in the vice this seemed to break the freewheel loose but it wouldn’t come free. It was spinning the axle nuts and loosening up the whole axle assembly. And I couldn’t get the axle nut holding the tool to release. So today I tried it with an impact and a wrench to hold the tool and another to hold the opposite axle nut.
View attachment 265876
That got the jammed axle nut loose right away and the whole works came apart. @Wildcat I’m not sure but this may help with your hub too.
View attachment 265877
I think I want to build it into this S2 rim.
View attachment 265878
It’s a 36 hole hub. I’ve never ordered spokes before. I need to take all the measurements. I think Park Tool has a video on that. Or someone does. One issue I have is the axle seems to be off center. Should I have an equal amount of threads sticking out past each inner axle nut?
View attachment 265879
Is anyone familiar with this hub?
View attachment 265880
Also, where is a good place to order spokes from? There are cheap spokes on Amazon but I’ve read that they have issues, like not being quite the correct length or the nipples stripping too easily.
I had a bad experience with Amazon spokes, I’ve had very good results with spokes from pork chop bmx

Just now catching up here.

I'm loving the look so far! Maybe not the Aero Bee guard though. Using two rear Monarks is a great approach to the street sweepers. Also, the mix of colors around the head tube and fork crown is very cool. I wouldn't mess with that!

I was warming up to the stretch before you switched back and especially liked the baskets even though you were kidding. I guess I was in the minority on that one.:bigsmile:

I'll be checking in more often now that I've seen it. Keep on rolling with it!

Just now catching up here.

I'm loving the look so far! Maybe not the Aero Bee guard though. Using two rear Monarks is a great approach to the street sweepers. Also, the mix of colors around the head tube and fork crown is very cool. I wouldn't mess with that!

I was warming up to the stretch before you switched back and especially liked the baskets even though you were kidding. I guess I was in the minority on that one.:bigsmile:

I'll be checking in more often now that I've seen it. Keep on rolling with it!
Thanks! I’ll be leaving the paint as is on the frame and fork for the most part. I haven’t made any firm decisions yet. I’m going to mess around with the frame extension still. Baskets are probably out for this one but you never know. I don’t think the Aero Bee guard will go on, the white one suits it better. I think I might try to get a lucky 7 seat post and see how that looks. Some other ideas too. I had planned to mess with this one more today but my class 2 took up all the time.

I hadn't noticed those grips before. They look pretty cool and unique.
The Aerobee guard is killer, but I'm not sure if it flows with the build yet.

Agreed, the Aerobee is waiting for a muscle build.

Don't blame you for testing it though. Always worth a look, cuz you never know.

Stay away from the cheap spokes on Amazon. I have probably built 8 wheels with them. Got burnt twice. There are two brands on Amazon. One sent me spokes that weren’t all the same length and the other came with nipples that stripped when tightening. Not worth the risk.

I have had decent luck with Porkchop BMX cut to length. Also husky bicycles has some good deals , but you have to buy the whole box.

Just take your time with an online spoke calculator. They work fine as long as you get your measurements right. Happy to help if you get stuck.
I'm measuring my hub and rim now.

The spoke holes in the hub are a little elongated. They measure 2.9mm in line with the flange and 3.3-3.5mm in line with the spokes. Should I just call it 3mm? Does it make a big difference?

Last edited:
Back