TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
275884-IMG-1545.jpeg

Presenting Doom Slug, my 1950 Roadmaster styled up as a late '50s kustom.

Full build thread here.

Last edited:
This bike was my first klunker and has been a fun ride for the last few years.
265096-IMG-1024.jpeg

I wanted to give it a new style and decided to go with a late '50s early '60s kustom boulevard cruiser theme. But I wanted it to look like it was built in the late '50s and has been sitting in the garage for the last few decades.

I decided to do white accents with the white glitter grab rail seat, pedals, grips, Shelby chain guard and new 2.4" whitewall tires. Here's an early mock-up.
265117-IMG-1037.jpeg
265129-IMG-3192.jpeg

I decided to use some crusty old white S2 rims and wanted some extra gears to help out with the hills in my neighborhood so I undertook my first real wheel build to add a cool Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. I've never gone through the whole process of measuring, ordering spokes, lacing and truing before so this was pretty fun.
267285-IMG-1186.jpeg
267333-IMG-1189.jpeg

To shift the gears I added a derailleur and stem shifter from an old 10 speed. I mounted the shifter to the seat stay under the saddle for a jockey shift arrangement that worked out great.
271471-IMG-1264.jpeg
271481-IMG-1270.jpeg
271607-IMG-1298.jpeg

I bobbed a rear fender from a Huffy for the back. Stripped that and parts of the chain guard to bare metal to accent the chrome on the tank.
273111-IMG-1378.jpeg

And added a cool chopper headlight
275121-IMG-1455.jpeg

Polished up the head badge a bit and rubbed the old paint and primer down with WD40.
275154-IMG-1470.jpeg

The chain ring looked too new to me so I gave it a skip tooth conversion by grinding off every other tooth. Then I gave it some RaT-ina for an aged aesthetic.
275202-IMG-1479.jpeg
275194-IMG-1482.jpeg
275196-IMG-1485.jpeg
275225-IMG-1495.jpeg

The whitewalls were new and looked it so I toned them down with some paint and wood stain. It's a great bike, looks great rides great and I'm pretty happy with it!
275882-IMG-1543.jpeg
275885-IMG-1546.jpeg

Pondo, you basically achieved everything you envisioned for this ride; which is hard to do! The '50s vibe, the rear hub conversion and wheel lacing, all your touches on the RaT-ina, especially the chain ring and tire aging ... :113: !!

Kudos on a great build!

This bike was my first klunker and has been a fun ride for the last few years.
View attachment 275780

I wanted to give it a new style and decided to go with a late '50s early '60s kustom boulevard cruiser theme. But I wanted it to look like it was built in the late '50s and has been sitting in the garage for the last few decades.

I decided to do white accents with the white glitter grab rail seat, pedals, grips, Shelby chain guard and new 2.4" whitewall tires. Here's an early mock-up.View attachment 275781View attachment 275782

I decided to use some crusty old white S2 rims and wanted some extra gears to help out with the hills in my neighborhood so I undertook my first real wheel build to add a cool Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. I've never gone through the whole process of measuring, ordering spokes, lacing and truing before so this was pretty fun.
View attachment 275783View attachment 275784

To shift the gears I added a derailleur and stem shifter from an old 10 speed. I mounted the shifter to the seat stay under the saddle for a jockey shift arrangement that worked out great.
View attachment 275785View attachment 275786View attachment 275787

I bobbed a rear fender from a Huffy for the back. Stripped that and parts of the chain guard to bare metal to accent the chrome on the tank.
View attachment 275788

And added a cool chopper headlight
View attachment 275789

Polished up the head badge a bit and rubbed the old paint and primer down with WD40.
View attachment 275790

The chain ring looked too new to me so I gave it a skip tooth conversion by grinding off every other tooth. Then I gave it some RaT-ina for an aged aesthetic.
View attachment 275793View attachment 275791View attachment 275792View attachment 275794

The whitewalls were new and looked it so I toned them down with some paint and wood stain. It's a great bike, looks great rides great and I'm pretty happy with it!View attachment 275795View attachment 275796
Great work! I would love to ride this one around!💪🏻

So you got a lil hint soul!!! Mhmm I see ya
Haha! Thanks man!!
Pondo, you basically achieved everything you envisioned for this ride; which is hard to do! The '50s vibe, the rear hub conversion and wheel lacing, all your touches on the RaT-ina, especially the chain ring and tire aging ... :113: !!

Kudos on a great build!
Thanks OJ. It's been a really satisfying build. Just a week ago I wasn't sure if I would cross the line with this one so I put off the chain ring conversion but it worked out. I've really appreciated all the input and advice from you and everyone. It is a great ride and I love it!
Great work! I would love to ride this one around!💪🏻
Thanks! If you're ever visiting Yosemite drop me a note and I'll bring some bikes and cruise the valley paths with you. :cool2:

Haha! Thanks man!!

Thanks OJ. It's been a really satisfying build. Just a week ago I wasn't sure if I would cross the line with this one so I put off the chain ring conversion but it worked out. I've really appreciated all the input and advice from you and everyone. It is a great ride and I love it!

Thanks! If you're ever visiting Yosemite drop me a note and I'll bring some bikes and cruise the valley paths with you. :cool2:
Deal!😎✌🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back