Double Vision

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you arent having double vision, Count them 1 2 yes 2 matching hawthorne bikes. which numbers are only 48 apart. whats the chance. not sure of the year yet.
haw.jpg

haw2.jpg

Ok aired up the original tires and the front tires on both bikes was rotted and blew out the side which I expected so I took the the tire off the nicer bike and threw on a mountain bike tire that was the same size off a parts bike (which the rim was way out of wack) I had. When I put the rim back on the bike the tire rubs for about 8 inches as you spin it which it didnt seem to do it before I replaced the tire. Has anyone had this happen before? Should I try trueing the original rim since the spokes are rusted or just find some newer replacement rims

Cool Pair of bikes. Could have been bought at same time for brothers (or twin's birthday)
Sorry I can't date them by numbers.
I bought one but it's too small for me so it's my wife's. Its our only tank bike (and an odd one at that)
I figure by the chainring and the shape that it's mid sixties.
I put the seat, wheels/tires and pedals on to goof around with it. The fork is badly bent
There was no year that I can see on the pictures of the liscense (frame has now been stripped)
TankBike.jpg

What do you plan to do with yours?
Steve

MplsCoaster said:
Cool Pair of bikes. Could have been bought at same time for brothers (or twin's birthday)
Sorry I can't date them by numbers.
I bought one but it's too small for me so it's my wife's. Its our only tank bike (and an odd one at that)
I figure by the chainring and the shape that it's mid sixties.
I put the seat, wheels/tires and pedals on to goof around with it. The fork is badly bent
There was no year that I can see on the pictures of the liscense (frame has now been stripped)
TankBike.jpg

What do you plan to do with yours?
Steve

Can you email me some pics of this bike? That's the onlt other one I've seen with a tank like mine. I'll PM you my email.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Can you email me some pics of this bike? That's the onlt other one I've seen with a tank like mine. I'll PM you my email.

Got you PM and will send them tonight. Found some other tanks like it but not exactly. Would like to see your tank.

I'd say 1965-70, there's no serial info for these Snyder built bikes. I have a very similar Rollfast, which has a BMA/6 sticker, making it a '71 or later. -Adam

thats funny you said maybe they was bought for a set of twins because as I was loading them up at the auction an older woman asked me what I was going to do with all the bikes I bought and I told her that Id probably fix up the newer bikes and resale them but I planned on keeping the 2 hawthornes since they matched. she said she was glad to see them go to someone that was going to get them back in riding condition and enjoy them, and she said she could remember her and her twin sister riding them down the driveway every day to check the mail. she also asked if i had seen a banana seat bike from the 50s that they had shared before they got the hawthornes and I said nope just the 5 that I bought. (wish I had, it would have been 6 bikes) but thought it was cool to learn the history of the bikes.

I plan on repainting the one in the back to as close as I can to what it looked like new and leaving the other as is

The bike history is always so cool. That probably helped her knowing someone was going to fix them up
That is pretty funny about the twins. Great for the surprise to be twin girls :shock: :lol:
Looking forward to seeing the repaint.

Gold Street Customs said:
Mine is a 70 (at least thats what the crank said) never had a third bar.
Interesting. Do you know who made it for Hawthorne? My Hawthorne (and my wife has another one too) was made by Hercules twin top tubes (lugged) and no third bar. Very different though, Hercules was own by Raleigh and it's badged a an English Lightweight (SA 3spd and Raleigh components).
Thought it maybe early 70's but not sure now
IMG_4111-1-1.jpg

Gold Street Customs said:
Mine is a 70 (at least thats what the crank said) never had a third bar.
101_9457.jpg
the chain guard looks the same as mine not sure whats up with the twin bar and triple bar thing with the hawthornes i just like how there reverse of most triple bars you see

Latest posts

Back