Downhill bike Ive been building...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys... This is a purpose built downhill machine that Ive been working on. I custom built the bottom bracket with a 4 bearing set up so the swing arm pivot is such that there is zero chain growth. Its all 4130 ch moly.. The bike is the brain child of my friend Troy and we have been working on it for the last few months... Pretty exited to have it looking like a bike!! Tonight was the first night we had all the parts together and its looking like its gonna be great! Single speed gear train with no derailleur makes the thing bulletproof bombin down the mountain...

3009343731_2a63a060fa.jpg

3009343735_40fe39a626.jpg

shweet! bolt a vid cam to that puppy and show us some downhillin

I've never understood why every mountain bike isn't like this, it seems so obvious (once you think of it). Make the swingarm pivot the same as the bottom bracket!

Ok... Here are some close ups of the bottom bracket and pivot..

3012319262_f8270dd096.jpg

3011483337_64d39ae166.jpg

3012319324_0b73af4908.jpg

yep... sure do. Not my department though. Troy has this thing all figured out in a cad program and did all the computer modeling. Im a more by the seat of your pants kinda guy but its sure nice to have someone with some design savvy figure all that stuff out so it works right the first time... Its pretty stiff for a downhill bike but Troy is a big guy... so its probably not so stiff for him.

That is very cool. So there is a bearing on each swing arm and 2 in the BB? I wonder why the manf. have not tried this.

Do you have plans to build one with some Chromoly tubing?

cman said:
That is very cool. So there is a bearing on each swing arm and 2 in the BB? I wonder why the manf. have not tried this.

I imagine it would be expensive to tool up for that in mass production which would make it too expensive for retail. I bet he could get a fair number of hard core people to buy a custom frame though. A one or two guy team such as they have could make a little money on the deal.

cman said:

Do you have plans to build one with some Chromoly tubing?

Yep... 2 in the BB and one on each side... And this is a full chromoly frame....

thatismytruck said:
cman said:

I imagine it would be expensive to tool up for that in mass production which would make it too expensive for retail. I bet he could get a fair number of hard core people to buy a custom frame though. A one or two guy team such as they have could make a little money on the deal.

Yeah.... I dont know If I personally could make any money building these... Maybe if I farmed out the machine work to a CNC shop...
It took 10 or so hours to machine the bottom bracket/pivot parts... another 4 or 5 for the drop outs...15 or so hours in fitting all the frame tubes... probably 4 or 5 to weld it... maybe $300 worth of materials So we are talkin $3500 without a shock? I suppose that's not to far out of line for a big name custom built frame... but Im just some yahoo...

I built this bike for free... looked like a fun project and Troy.. the guy who designed the bike... is just a heck of a nice guy.... He did take me to lunch the other day..and did a fine job sweeping while I was welding up the swing arm...

If you where going to build 10 the time required per bike drops way down.. assuming they where all the same size that is... But really to me its only fun to build one. (or maybe 2 :wink: ) Id rather build one for free than 20 for $2000 each.... I make pretty good money doing my work stuff so the last thing I want to do is turn my hobby into work....

Got any updates on this bike? Bad to the bone!

SkidMark said:
I've never understood why every mountain bike isn't like this, it seems so obvious (once you think of it). Make the swingarm pivot the same as the bottom bracket!

pivot placement makes a big difference is the way the bike reacts when you pedal it and when you ride it (pedal feedback, brake jack etc). Every pivot placement has its own advantages/disaventages ... afew mm up/back/forwared etc can make huge difference in the ride carateristics.. I've been riding Downhill/cross country suspended bikes for over 10 years now.. I had a lot of simple pivot bikes and they had all different riding carateristics du to pivot placement. ther are also the multi pivot bikes, wich i could explaned for hours...

Back