Drilling Bearing Races??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple cheapie front wheels that I want to use as the back wheels on my trike build. In order for them to work, I need to drill out the bearing race so that the 3/4" axle can pass thru the hub. I tried using a brand new step bit, but the races are hardened. So I tried getting one of the races nice and hot with MAP gas, and I still wasn't able to drill it.

Any idea how I should drill these races out? Or maybe I should take the wheel apart, and try to disassemble the hubs to get thee hardened part out? They are just generic black steel front wheels from a cheapie bike.

Ya a dremel may be my best bet. That's just such a slow way to do it.

I'm not worried about ruining the races from the heat since these hubs won't have bearings in them. They will simply slide over the trike axle and will be held in place with a hardened bolt.

You could use a drift punch and knock the bearing cups out. The races are threaded on thee axle.....
Like 808 mentioned, heat on races, cups, or bearings will lead to rapid failure! :)

I ended up,knocking the cups out. On one of the hubs the flanges had to come off first, but they went right back on no problem.

Latest posts

Back