Drilling into glass??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone have any good tips or pointers on how to drill into a glass bulb without destroying it? On one of my upcoming builds I will be using an old farm tractor headlight with a sealed beam bulb as the headlight for the bike. I want to keep the original look to the bulb/light and want to drill about a half-dozen 10mm holes in the backside to mount some LED diodes. The end result will be a vintage looking light assembly with LED power. Thoughts??

Get a diamond core drill from Harbor Freight. They come in 2 sizes in a pack. The smaller size is would be close to 10mm. You use them in a variable speed drill or drill press at slow speed. You need to keep water dripped on them while cutting. They cut slow but make smooth holes in glass. Gary

Will the bulb not implode once the first hole is drilled? I would think that this would be the case since there is gas in it, but I have never tried.

Chips_Mahoy said:
This is why I'm glad I asked. I would've thought I would have to drill very slowly with the drill on a high speed.

If you use diamond tools you want the drill on slow speed AND drill very slowly with water drip to keep the diamonds from clogging up with glass dust. Glass is harder than steel. It's like drilling in stone...you have to be patient. Gary

Latest posts

Back