Drive rivets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. X53 fans...
I've got two nice frames that are distinctly different. One has the large rectangular headbadge that has Western in large letters and assorted other stuff in smaller letters. The other has small brass headbadge that pretty much just has Western Flyer painted on it. The frame with the smaller badge is a "Super", the larger one I'm not so sure about. I don't know if they made an X53 that wasn't a "Super".
Here's my problem .....Both headbadges are affixed using those drive rivets. On the smaller one, I was able to tap them out from the inside since they were protruding slightly into the tube. I got them out far enough to grab them with a set of plyers and eventually worked them back and forth until I got them out. I managed to save the headbadge.
No such luck on the other one. The badge is much thicker and the rivets don't protrude through to the inside. I want to save the headbadge.

...got any cool tricks for that?

Curtis

can you drill the rivets without messing up the badge and replace rivets with new?

I wish I could.
Those rivets are small with a rounded top. Itried it once by hand already and it kept slipping. I'd end up toasting that headbadge for sure.....

well try to use a punch and make a dent in the rivet before you drill silly it might help

I thought about that. I may head to the hardware store to see about a small punch if no one else has any other suggestions. All my punches are too big....

...cutting the heads off sounds like it might work. I will still need to remove the rivet bottoms after I've gotten the headbadge off safely. There should be enough left over for me to get a pair of pliers on right?

Back