Dropbar to flatbar road bike conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Knowing RRB Community,

If I am going to convert a dropbar road bike, with traditional caliper road brakes, to a flatbar ride, what type of brake levers work correctly with the brakes? I am thinking standard mountain levers, non V brake type, so that they're pulling the proper amount of cable.

Please confirm or correct my thoughts.

Thanks.

Scott

V-brake levers should work...V-brakes just need to have a lever that pulls more cable.

There are several options for you on this one.
I use a pair of Forte "in line" or "cyclocross" levers. They are pretty cheap and you can find them easily at your local bike shop. Or you can just run a set of BMX levers.
** edit - Sorry, for some reason I confused V Brake with Center Pull brake.

vbrake levers dont work very well . try to find non- vbrake mtb lever or cyclocross levers.

62Higgins said:
All Knowing RRB Community,

If I am going to convert a dropbar road bike, with traditional caliper road brakes, to a flatbar ride, what type of brake levers work correctly with the brakes? I am thinking standard mountain levers, non V brake type, so that they're pulling the proper amount of cable.

Please confirm or correct my thoughts.

Thanks.

Scott

you are thinking correctly- levers from any cantilever brake era mtb will work great!

tektro makes a bunch of reasonably priced ones.

stepper said:
There are several options for you on this one.
I use a pair of Forte "in line" or "cyclocross" levers. They are pretty cheap and you can find them easily at your local bike shop.

I use those (also called interrupter levers) on all my fixies. They work great with road calipers.

Last pic on the right at the bottom of the page (the BRL54 Cane Creek Crosstop) - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brak ... -drop.html
Tektro also makes a really inexpensive version.

Cheapie simple old fashioned levers from an old touring bike worked for me....both these bikes had drop bars, the black one got bull bars with the cheapie levers :

100_1459.jpg

This one got flat bars with the same style as above, you can see them in this pic:

100_1138.jpg

100_1140.jpg

They were about $3.00 each at the LBS and work as well as the originals did on both bikes.

Latest posts

Back