Drum vs Disc brakes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they both look good but it really depends on what kind of bike. I don't want to see a pre war Elgin with 8" hydrualic disc brakes front and rear and a 9" travel DH mountain bike just wouldn't look right with drums.

I like drums because they will fit any fork. However, i agree with bicycleguy that it depends on the type and vintage of your bike.

I'm guessing you mean 20" wheels since you are talking muscle bike. 20" drum brake wheels are not tough to find on EBay. I haven't seen 20" disk wheels so you may need to buy the hubs and have somebody lace them to 20" rims. You can use an A2Z caliper adaptor for the rear. You may be able to drill and bolt a caliper to a springer fork on the front. I'll see if I can find any pics that may help.

wheelbender6 said:
I'm guessing you mean 20" wheels since you are talking muscle bike. 20" drum brake wheels are not tough to find on EBay. I haven't seen 20" disk wheels so you may need to buy the hubs and have somebody lace them to 20" rims. You can use an A2Z caliper adaptor for the rear. You may be able to drill and bolt a caliper to a springer fork on the front. I'll see if I can find any pics that may help.
Thanks, and yes I was planning on lacing the wheels. I already have a rear stingray drum brake, so I would only need the front.
The only thing I'm really cautious about is I'm on a very limited budget, so I don't want to waste my money.

It may be expensive to get a disk wheel laced on a budget. I don't know if one of the low rider parts sites may offer a 20" front disk wheel.
Another idea is to use a 20" rear wheel that has threads for a freewheel on the front of the bike. Chainganglowrider.com makes a six bolt disk adapter that spins onto those threads. Venice may offer that also. You will just need to price it out to see which fits your budget.

wheelbender6 said:
It may be expensive to get a disk wheel laced on a budget. I don't know if one of the low rider parts sites may offer a 20" front disk wheel.
Another idea is to use a 20" rear wheel that has threads for a freewheel on the front of the bike. Chainganglowrider.com makes a six bolt disk adapter that spins onto those threads. Venice may offer that also. You will just need to price it out to see which fits your budget.

The only problem with using those spin on adapters is that you have to use a rear hub on the front and have to spread the forks a lot to get it to fit. I made some 16" disc wheels with those adapters a while back, I used a standard rear hub on the front and a flip/flop on the rear with a disc adapter on the left and a freewheel on the right. It worked good but it was alot of work lacing wheels, making a welding disc tabs, lining everything up. I spent around $100 for everything (all parts were used except the adapters).

100_5443.jpg

Lacing wheels requires training, equipment and practice. Its not doable by the average shade tree mechanic.
(I never saw anybody successfully lace a wheel on that show where non-mechanics can keep their chopper if they build it correctly).
If you provide the hub and rim, it will cost $35 or so to have it laced at a shop.

wheelbender6 said:
Lacing wheels requires training, equipment and practice. Its not doable by the average shade tree mechanic.
(I never saw anybody successfully lace a wheel on that show where non-mechanics can keep their chopper if they build it correctly).
If you provide the hub and rim, it will cost $35 or so to have it laced at a shop.

lol ya, thats funny, some people on that show had some xtreme techniques!

Latest posts

Back