Dual springer forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. For the ladies' bike rat off, I am thinking about ordering these. Ebay, 109 bucks. It's a 1 inch stem, and that's what my old Huffy cruiser has. The stem must be cut to length, and I suppose you assemble all of it, along with the stem parts, and then cut it off even at the top nut. Do you see any issues I'm not aware of? Also, am I going to run into problems with where the bearing races slide down the stem? I appreciate your help...I am new. I am making a type of SoCal rat bike, to look like an old bobber from the 50s and 60s. So she's got a few appropriate decals...rat fink and moon stuff. Here is a pic of the best decal for this forum. Just to whet your interest. Also a pic of the forks in question. Fink Power!!!

Attachments

• 20240702_072126.jpg
    20240702_072126.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240702_072219.jpg
    20240702_072219.jpg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240702_071200_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240702_071200_eBay.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for your reply, captain. I'm wanting to get it all put together, with the top nutsecured, and just saw across with a hacksaw just above the nut, so that the cut is perfectly straight and flush with the top of the nut. In my mind this would be the easiest was to cut it accurately, with the tools I have. The top half of the tube is threaded, so there is room to shorten it, without having to re cut the thread. Does it make sense how I am describing it?

Thanks for your reply, captain. I'm wanting to get it all put together, with the top nutsecured, and just saw across with a hacksaw just above the nut, so that the cut is perfectly straight and flush with the top of the nut. In my mind this would be the easiest was to cut it accurately, with the tools I have. The top half of the tube is threaded, so there is room to shorten it, without having to re cut the thread. Does it make sense how I am describing it?
How long is the steer tube? How long is your head tube?

Doubtful that the tube is threaded halfway down

How long is the steer tube? How long is your head tube?

Doubtful that the tube is threaded halfway down
I don't have the fork yet, so I don't know the lengths, and don't have a measurement yet for my tube on the bike, but a message from the seller said it was threaded down so there would be room to shorten it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, even with limited tools I think I'm just going to get it next month and jump in. That's my favorite way to work on projects that are difficult...I just jump in and figure it out lol. Thanks.

Back