"DUCYCLE" The Duct Tape Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so for this year (my 2nd RRBO) I actually had time to come up with ideas and work on gathering parts
rather than last year when I first joined this site and entered the build off with about a month until the deadline

For this year my entry is (duct/duck tape + bicycle) = "DUCYCYLE"

the design idea is to turn a prewar bicycle from what possibly looked like this at one time
KGrHqNHJBsE60e3usicBO3OtCJdhg60_57_zpsf7f278a8.jpg

And make it a cross between a time trial/triathlon bicycle and a cruiser
For those of you who don't know the picture below is what a time trial/triathlon bike looks like
they are bikes used in racing where drafting is not permitted so they are usually very aerodynamic (think modern board trackers)
concorde-colombo-time-trial-bike-8672_1_zps6b6f4960.jpg

using mostly duct tape for:
Rear wheel disc
Handle bar grips
Seat cover
Paint
Graphics
I even plan on using the tape to try and make a tank

The Frame:
Its a Shelby traveler (although i have only seen the straight down tube as a Gambels Hiawatha built by shelby)
I am using this frame since Shelby produced the Donald duck bikes I felt it was only right to use a Shelby on a bike built using Duct (or duck)tape
Heck even the badge has what I am saying looks like a duck (rather than a goose)
1e0b4e40-874a-44de-98ec-d8bf19857d10_zpsba37d182.jpg

The plan(for now):

28" wheel in the rear
28 x 1.175 tire (even though i can run a wider tire i want the skinny tire look)
either 24" or 26" front wheel to give it that good stinkbug stance

-------------------------------------------------------Plan B----------------------------------------------

Since That build is outside of my normal comfort zone this is the bike i will be using as my backup plan
possible names= Jetliner, Rat with wings, Disease carrier pigeon

the picture was taken back when i originally bought the bike
ad6189b1-b970-4d0e-9b23-d685a6890c29_zpscf7b09f6.jpg

I had planed back then to use it for this build off and had gathered all the needed parts but one has constantly eluded me
so if any of yo have this style chain guard for sale let me know
its from Murray/Mercury Fleet Line
If i cant find one i may have to come up with another plan B
ehe3u6uh.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE

I love Plan B, but I want to see Plan A. It's so different.
Good luck.

I found a guy selling a set of 29er wheels with a coaster brakes (he said they came ofF a ladies kent)
they turned out to fit the 28 x 1.75 (47-622) size tire i want to use
i decided to get the pair even though i am only using one for the build I figured i can use one as the mock up wheel
the other I will rebuild if i decide to run either a 2 speed kickback / internal speed hub / or free wheel with multi speed crank & derailleur
I am absolutely not running any rear speed derailleur systems they don't fit the aerodynamic look i want
100_0582_zps12b07e75.jpg

Here is a basic mock-up with the rear wheel in place
the front i was hoping to use a 24" blade fork and wheel however my only 24" blade forks had a insanely stuck goose neck and stripped threads
I may have to get new 24" forks or see if i can use 20" forks since there a good amount of space between tire and fork
2bbb12e6-690a-48b7-87c7-07c69b936846_zpsd0cf99a9.jpg

-----------------------------------------------Plan B------------------------------------------------------

As for the jet flow I feel its one of the nicest tank bikes eclipsed only by the x-53
I always disliked the use of the color flow style rack, chain guard, and fenders on them
so I want to try and make the jet flow look more like i feel it should have been designed

a while back i had gotten a 1/2 intact Murray super deluxe
I plan on utilizing the rear rack set up and possibly the x-53 style forks
however part of me wants to use the rat trap forks
the pedals are the teardrop style (appropriate for a jet styled bike)
100_0578_zps9a6ea924.jpg

Close up of the rear rack set up similar to the x-53 yet different since the crash bars attaches to the seat post clamp
100_0579_zps655fc38e.jpg

I used to be one of those guys that didn't give track bikes much love (mainly a cruiser guy) but last years RRBBO entrant Rat Salad built by streetpirate showed how some cruiser frames can pull of that track look

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60736

Re: DUCYCLE Update 5/10

I was hoping to be further along by now but my vans diesel injection pump is leaking gas like crazy
so i have been without my main mode of trasportation for a while (so no chance to hit up any swap meets for need parts)
but I got to do some dredging for mock up parts and came across these
100_0626_zps042142da.jpg

the chain ring is a 52 and 44 tooth it should help to test sprocket sizes to see what i like best before i commit to buying a 2 piece crank
(i am hoping to use a bmx 3 piece crank for testing but haven't found it yet)
the seat is the narrow size i will use only i want to find a real ratty one to cover with duct tape
last is the adjustable goose neck
I really want to find a set of 24" blade forks that this will fit into so i can make my bars adjustable (switching from cruiser to track style)

But since i cant do any setup testing for ducycle I was able get the jet flow mocked up
ac3507a7-61e3-4bd9-81a1-c9b98abca9c1_zpsbf3265d2.jpg

black parts will stay black/ any thing chrome will be bare metal/other painted parts will be gray primered
100_0619_zpsc69c8662.jpg

I really liking the setup so far however a few things are still needed
narrower fender for front
murray/mercury fleet line chain guard
different seat
possibly other handlebars and torpedo grips
I would like to put a set of rat trap springers with the truss bars so if anyone has any let me know
(similar to the ones on NDN)
43453d2e3888e82de0e04f348ececb9b_zpsc64bc617.jpg

One minor thing to deal with is the seat post clamp
In order to get the rack bars to line up with the tanks "intakes" i had to drop it below the slit
now i need to decide after I lengthen the slit do cut the remaining metal or leave the frame alone and have it stick up
100_0624_zpse9af9d45.jpg

Doubling up on the seat clamp i think it might be a little of an eyesore compared to the other two options

by the way thanks for the tip on the seat post Walker

used to able to get long BMX clamps that had 2 Allen screw in them they were about 1 1/2 inches long tighten might try and find one of these

Troy

Re: DUCYCLE minor Update 5/23

At my uncle's this week since he has the much wider selection of tools for the fuel injection pump instalation on the van
one of the parts i needed to continue will not arrive till friday so i brought out the shelby and got some work done while i waited

100_0688_zps25d737f6.jpg

1- frame cleaned up
(nothing major just a degreasing and a mild sanding of the rust areas to smooth it out better)
2-pulled out stuck seat post from when i originaly bought the bike
(found a second post stuck in the frame, pulled it out using a large sheet metal screw)
3-drilled out the fork stem with a 7/8 bit
(gooseneck would only go in originaly about 1/4 of the way)

I will be going long beach cycle swap this sunday to pick up some more parts
and the van should be up and running around the same time so I should be able to start getting more stuff on the bike done

*I was planing on entering the lightweight sub-comp but I relized although its going to be in the style of a lightweight
its actualy closer to a middleweight with lighter parts so I'm calling it a welterweight

Re: DUCYCLE Update 6/11

Before i show current progress I wanted to say that due to a finacial problem i will have to sell off plan B :(
e8b7154c-a2ee-4cfb-a428-b16a11c35b1e_zps67093506.jpg

I will give one week to see if anyone wants to buy it in its current form
after one week if i have had no interest i will be reverting the bike back to as much of the original jetflow as i can and posting it in the for sale section
if interested in buying it and would like to know price as it sits or have any qestions please PM me

Anyways i picked up some much needed parts for the handlebars over the weekend as well as a cheap seat that will be perfect for adding duct tape pading and duct tape seat cover
100_0692_zpsaca38a89.jpg

this is the piece that i will be using to make adjustable (cruiser to race) handlebars something like the kelly adjustables
I had other ways to make the adjustable handlebars work but was not finding what i needed
100_0692_zpsaca38a89.jpg

here is a very rough mock up of the handlebar idea
(still need to get a traight handle barr that measures 25.4 throghout the enitire bar rather than only the gooseneck sectiion
CRUISER
100_0694_zps4517e182.jpg

RACE
100_0698_zps27a870c5.jpg

Member rusty513 has been looking for one for a while....I'll give him a heads up.

Basically I'm calling dibs for it for him :lol:

I am sure that "Plan B" will find a good home.
I really want to see how the "Plan A" parts and the duct tape play together!

kingfish254 said:
Rockit! said:
Member rusty513 has been looking for one for a while....I'll give him a heads up.

Basically I'm calling dibs for it for him :lol:

PM Sent on the "Plan B" bike one and a half hours before the above proxy dibs :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back