DYI Extended forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my grandson comes down at Christmas we are going to experiment with putting a 20"frt., 26" rear drag bike together. It will be a low dollar affair. A trial mockup showed it could use a slightly longer fork. Enter a 20" junk fork I had that was like an extra fatty fork with the same length of steerer. I had a junk fork that I cut the legs off about 3" above the main curve. Those legs were about 1" OD and fitting very close inside the 20" fork. I cut the 20" fork off at the wheel mounts.
20231103_090120.jpg
20231103_090405.jpg

I took the setup to a friend of mine who races dirt late models. He had the welder and skills. We left the wheel on for the initial tack welds to keep everything lined up and true. The results was a 3.5" gain which should be plenty. The picture on the left above is an optical illusion. The wheel is dead center, well close enough. Yes it does gradually widen, however the axle nuts easily pull it in. The next picture shows it next to a stock26" fork.

IMG_4359.JPG

My friend filled the welds and ground it to a gradual taper. I took it home and used 3M spot putty and emery cloth to smooth it all out and have it primed.

IMG_4358.JPG

Here is an old picture of me sitting in his late model about 3 years ago. The smile is because he has me fire it up while I was sitting in it.
20200102_153522 2.jpg

Last edited:
Great minds think alike? I have a pair of Schwinn frames that have the same/similar style of fork as you have. I was planning on building the men's frame for some time now as an off-road ride but wanted the option of a 29" fork on the cheap. Like you I was thinking on cutting off the lower section of one fork and adding it to the other, inserting an inner sleeve for that warm and cozy feeling of not dying, and welding on disc dropouts. I'll start on it when I return from my Travels.

When my grandson comes down at Christmas we are going to experiment with putting a 20"frt., 26" rear drag bike together. It will be a low dollar affair. A trial mockup showed it could use a slightly longer fork. Enter a 20" junk fork I had that was like an extra fatty fork with the same length of steerer. I had a junk fork that I cut the legs off about 3" above the main curve. Those legs were about 1" OD and fitting very close inside the 20" fork. I cut the 20" fork off at the wheel mounts.
View attachment 252056View attachment 252057

I took the setup to a friend of mine who races dirt late models. He had the welder and skills. We left the wheel on for the initial tack welds to keep everything lined up and true. The results was a 3.5" gain which should be plenty. The picture on the left above is an optical illusion. The wheel is dead center, well close enough. Yes it does gradually widen, however the axle nuts easily pull it in. The next picture shows it next to a stock26" fork.

View attachment 252058

My friend filled the welds and ground it to a gradual taper. I took it home and used 3M spot putty and emery cloth to smooth it all out and have it primed.

View attachment 252059

Here is an old picture of me sitting in his late model about 3 years ago. The smile is because he has me fire it up while I was sitting in it.
View attachment 252061

Back