Dying white handgrips???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was at my LBS looking for yellow grips for my daughter's Ratz bike. The owner didn't have any, but said I could dye a set of white grips any color with plain old Rit dye. I was skeptical but he had never steered me wrong so I bought a set of white grips and some yellow dye. And guess what? I have white grips! Is it possible to dye white grips (silicone, I think)? Did I do something wrong? Or is he just trying to pocket a little coin? I am hoping it is not the latter because the next closest LBS adds 30 miles round trip. Any help or ideas?

I don't think the plastic or vinyl grips will absorb the rit dye like fabric will. I've used acrylic paint (from the craft section) on old Schwinn grips will success. These were old and stained before I painted them blue.
Before and after:
2ebfyxd.jpg

2q3x1xc.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
I thought you were the LBS where you're at :D
Dying the grips just doesn't sound like it would work to me but what do I know.
If you were to ask my friends, family, neighbors, or anyone else down my way they would say I am the LBS.
Wildcat said:
I don't think the plastic or vinyl grips will absorb the rit dye like fabric will. I've used acrylic paint (from the craft section) on old Schwinn grips will success.

I will give it a shot, nothing to loose but a cheap seet of grips, anyway.

Yeah, I would definitely try a fabric/rubber/vinyl paint.

I just restored a black Mesinger seat with Krylon vinyl paint, the thing looks absolutely brand new. The grips, if old vinyl ones (like Schwinn) should take nicely to spray paint. Spend a lot of extra time getting them clean though- maybe run them in the dishwasher or something to remove the grime that collects in grooves and logos.

Krylon's paint is called Fusion. Dupli-color sells similar ones and they are available at autoparts stores like NAPA.

--Rob

udallcustombikes said:
aka_locojoe said:
I thought you were the LBS where you're at :D
Dying the grips just doesn't sound like it would work to me but what do I know.
If you were to ask my friends, family, neighbors, or anyone else down my way they would say I am the LBS.
Wildcat said:
I don't think the plastic or vinyl grips will absorb the rit dye like fabric will. I've used acrylic paint (from the craft section) on old Schwinn grips will success.

I will give it a shot, nothing to loose but a cheap seet of grips, anyway.

Latest posts

Back