Dyno Vs Kustom Kruiser Vs Aftermarket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was following a thread in the "For Sale" section regarding a Dyno Stretch and there was mention of frame flex.

Bigcam59 wrote:
==============================================================
Road Master wrote:
I too have a Dyno Roadster stretch with the same issue. I weigh in at 285 and because the seat stays are curved down instead of up I get flex just sitting on it. The chain cleared when I bought it but after several gear combinations I went back to the original and then it rubbed - I had slightly bent the rear triangle in the few months I had been riding it. I have another Dyno Cruiser on the way which will give me the opportunity to stabilize the mechanical side. We ( me & my welder) arrived at the same conclusion - tubing braces like you did or gussets as was mentioned. And yes, it will continue to bend unless modified. When I finally get the mechanics funtioning correctly I'm going to repaint. I really like the way they ride - it takes a little getting used to but with the right saddle it is a very comfortable ride. Good luck with your sale. Robert

==============================================================
Funny thing is, I've had my chrome stretch, built from an aftermarket frame for a couple years and lots of miles now and have never had a problem with it. I just did 10 miles on it today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I posted, (then realized I should not be doing it on that frum, but on this one):

I've been following this sale thread and you have raised my cuiousity over the "flex" thing. I have a bike that started out as a "Slick Daddy" when it was purchased in Jan. of 2004. I've had it since then, and it has been ridden extensively (No idea of miles, but more than most of the others by a long shot!), and I don't see anything with the frame, and have not noticed any issues with it. I understand the Kustom Kruiser line followed Dyno, are the frames the same? I have been told by quite a few people since owning this bike that the frames weren't as good as the Dyno. I have to wonder, based on your posts here, is this really the case?

Qualifiers: I weigh just over 300, the bike has been used for almost eight years, and has had most all the original parts replaced with other stuff. The frame, fork, and front brake caliper are still original though. The frame has not been altered or had any repair.
Here is a photo:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

well the experience I've had mirrors yours pretty much. The only problem I had was one that I bought used and, well, pre-bent. :roll:
My chrome stretch, built from an aftermarket frame is going on 3 years now and I've never had anything bend other than a seatpost, which, at my size, you get pretty used to. The bikehas made through NYC and several Philly rides unscathed, even. 8)

Let me answer the part about Dyno and Kustom Kruiser frames. They are not an exact match. I had both bikes at the same time and rear wheel parts would not fit the same on both bikes. As far as quality they both held up just fine for my 300lb cousins the few times they rode them.

In my opinion, if you haven't had any issues with your bike I would say there is nothing to worry about and keep riding it the same way. You have been riding it for years and haven't had any problems anyways.

Bigcam59 said:
well the experience I've had mirrors yours pretty much. The only problem I had was one that I bought used and, well, pre-bent. :roll:
My chrome stretch, built from an aftermarket frame is going on 3 years now and I've never had anything bend other than a seatpost, which, at my size, you get pretty used to. The bikehas made through NYC and several Philly rides unscathed, even. 8)

Pre bent?
Any idea on how it got bent? My frame doesn't seem to flex - but would I have felt it if it did? - and the only misgiving of this frame was that the rear bracket for the chainguard broke off. That didn't concern me much because the 54 tooth front chainring didn't fit under it anyway!

I have seen others locally that didn't seem to have any problems, but it really bugged me that I kept being told that the Kustom Kruisers were "cheap chinese junk", that they were second rate to the Dyno, and so forth.

The only real problem with the bike is that I like to ride it more than most due to the comfort factor. I'd like to re-do the paint but would stay with a similar color (The bike's name is "Stretch Orangestrong"), as this paint is either very brittle, or the frame was not prepared for the color properly. It chips VERY easily, even as careful as I have been with it. It got it's first one while I was still looking at it before I bought it. The shop knocked $25 off for the chip, so I was good with that. Over the years though, I just barely touched the frame with the wrench when I was switching one of the past seats, and poof... another chip.

Anyway, thanks for your response, and especially the "pre bent" clarification. That is really wierd!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

The whole story can be found here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42617
I don't know what caused the bending in the first place, whether it was stress or a hamhanded attempt at lowering the bike, but it all worked out in the end.

rat royale said:
I have seen others locally that didn't seem to have any problems, but it really bugged me that I kept being told that the Kustom Kruisers were "cheap chinese junk", that they were second rate to the Dyno, and so forth.

^^^This is true though, they are closer to cheap junk. :roll: Look at the paint concern you had. Never had a problem with my original roadster the 7 years I had it.

rydr1 said:
rat royale said:

^^^This is true though, they are closer to cheap junk. :roll: Look at the paint concern you had. Never had a problem with my original roadster the 7 years I had it.

I've got a KK Roadster and have checked out the older Dyno-branded versions. I'm pretty sure they share a frame that is the same basic over-sea build. Probably out of the same factory.

As with most bicycles made in the past 10-15 years, manufactures needed to find ways to stay competitive and profitable with China imports. Dyno never made the coaster or roadster here in America. The only way they could hit price points and make money, they had to source cheaper parts and remove post processes in the frame. Just because the frame didn't have the "D" in the frame, doesn't necessarily mean they came from a different factory. I'd be willing to bet Dyno ordered their supply factory to sacrifice finer touches to save money. The name change from Dyno to KK had little (to nothing) to do with construction of that bike. Meaning, the changes would have come no matter what name you call it.

That being said....
IMO: the earlier the bike, the better and more desirable. No matter the brand (or the name they put on the bike).

I have an 04 KK roadster and an 07 KK slick daddy. The orange sparkle paint on the slick daddy is definately more prone to chipping. It also seems to be alot thicker than most paint jobs. I haven't and don't have any problems with the frames. In my opinion the welds are way nicer than the welds on my other tiawanese cruisers. There's alot of info over on Slow-n-Low too. I would bet the Dyno's and KK's are very close in quality. Like any product as time goes on company's look for ways to increase profits. No the stickers are not perfectly straight on my roadster. But for just a little more money than a "standard" cruiser you got a WAY cooler bike. One thing I'd like to point out is the mechanical advantage the angle of the seat post creates. You stick that seat post out 6" and put heavy person on it there's alot of leverage there. Ride off the wrong curb and that could do it. Especially with the cheap imitation frames. I guess what I'm saying is you have too look at the geoemetry a bit and ride accordingly. I absolutely love riding my stretches and will for a long time. Peace.

rydr1 said:
rat royale said:

Interesting...
The Roadster (A Dyno!) the store had in stock when I got my Slick Daddy had not only paint chips, but rust on the chrome parts. Not bad, but noticeable. I still have no rust, but I do have the "chippy" paint. I don't honestly think it's the paint that's the problem, I thnik it stems from poor preparation. It's a shame.....

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Back