Early 40's Century (Schwinn) DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend picked this up at a garage sale on Friday. A few hours later we worked out a deal and it was mine. I have a couple other DX models but this is my first one with a tank.

c86676246eac8fcee899be71c6e655a2_zps87a7523e.jpg

I had another later partial DX that I am going to pirate the handlebars and stem from. I also had another strange late 50's garage sale find Schwinn that someone retrofitted with a skip tooth wheel set that will provide wheels for the new ride.

1539985d62e026512d9da1db4cf399f0_zpsc2ae69fd.jpg

I am curious about the year though. My other DX models are a '47 and a '53. Both have forward facing drop outs. This recent find has rear facing ones. Also I was going to put the chainguard from the red parts bike in the 'group' photo but it looks like it won't work with this frame. The seat stays are also different on the tank bike. Anyone have any idea on a year based on those characteristics?

Thanks, Jay

Your DX with rear facing dropouts is a prewar bike. The graphics on the frame and tank were new for '41. I'd say your bike is a '41, a model D97XE. What's the serial number? Prewar tanks in that condition are RARE. You have a real gem there with the nice OG paint, both the tank and frame.
The chainguard you need is a prewar "birdwing". It attaches to the seat stays just above the axle and clamps to the frame in front. The chainring should be a sweetheart skiptooth. Here's a couple of pics of my restored '41. Gary

Back