Early 70's puegot city bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this old diamond frame molder in in the brewery warehouse.
My initial hunting and pecking tells me that it was made sometime between 1970, and 1976, so me and the bike have that much in common [emoji1]

In any case, I'm just looking for some general info from folks that know about these things.
I plan on a mechanical restoration and leaving the finish alone.
It needs a front derailleur as it is missing.
I want to put on some fenders and add at least a rear luggage rack.

The rims are good, but the spokes are all rusted and I'm wondering if I should have the wheels re threaded

bd7ad24ec901fdbcf94433a7ef23b146.jpg

3bd2c088bf9566bb137ced8d5e81e203.jpg

9491a2e200bbc6a02400f311655504d0.jpg

ec219fd97ef454390c02dcf21b7e8944.jpg

ea18ff4e99a96938832c99fd0c90a872.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think its cool its ID tag is screwed on. I feel the same way you do about Possibly rethreading the wheels., probably for the best if you dont want a spoke to jump.

Fenders would be nice, I have a hard time enjoying a bikes full potential without being completely dressed. Rack included. [Maybe a behind the seat tool pouch?]

"Unfortunately, exactly dating a Peugeot earlier than the late 1970s is an art rather than a science, and is often an estimate at best. Even original owners have a hard time remembering the year that they purchased the bicycle. That said, it is possible to date a bike within a couple of years with some confidence based on frame features and components. See the 'Frames, Headbadges and Decals' webpage for a pictorial timeline of frame features, and the 'Parts & Accessories' webpage for information on when specific components were found on 'U' bicycles.

Older bicycles have a serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket. If the number has six digits the frame was probably made in the 1960s, seven digits in the 1970s. Sometimes, the first digit indicates the year within each decade that the frame was made. For example, 1940481 and 2400884 represent 1971 and 1972, respectively. However, there are many cases when the first digit suggests a frame production year that is older than the actual age of the bicycle. For example, the serial number 1355592 on a 1975 bicycle. The reverse has not been documented, so it is likely that bicycles are no older than the first digit in the factory serial number, but could be younger. Sometimes local bike shops etched serial numbers into the rear dropout, but this number may or may not match the original.

It is helpful to compare the serial numbers of older bicycles with dates that are sometimes found on the rims, hubs and derailleurs. Although my 1972 AO8 has DEA rims and a Simplex Prestige rear derailleur clearly marked '1972' and '72', respectively, these dates also cannot be used alone to determine the age of a bicycle. For example, my 1973 UE8 came equipped with a 1971 derailleur. If your serial number and component dates match, you are probably in good shape. If not, the bicycle is no older than the latest component, but you will have to estimate the age (e.g., early 70s)." -
Information found VIA: WWW.BikeBoomPeaugeot.com

Thanks for the insight. For some reason, all those links are dead?
The rear wheel is missing at least one spoke. All the rest are rusted over and feel a bit brittle. The wheels are true however.
The thing probably got back there in the warehouse because it was abandoned by a employee or a customer of the pub, then the maintenance guy forgot about it.
With Richmond becoming more bike friendly, this seems like a nice one to have around.

What you have is a modified UO8. Just a good basic bike. I had one that I modified for touring. I put alloy wheels on it 27x1 3/4 which is the stock size, mine also had a brooks saddle on it. I changed the derailieurs to Sun Tours but Shimanos would work too. The Simplex Derailiuers were made form Dural, a plastic which would be stock. I also put a three piece crankset on the bike too, I hated working on a cotter crankset. I would agree that a 1970 or 71 date would be right!

Hey FZ good to see that your back here. Missed ya.

What you have is a modified UO8. Just a good basic bike. I had one that I modified for touring. I put alloy wheels on it 27x1 3/4 which is the stock size, mine also had a brooks saddle on it. I changed the derailieurs to Sun Tours but Shimanos would work too. The Simplex Derailiuers were made form Dural, a plastic which would be stock. I also put a three piece crankset on the bike too, I hated working on a cotter crankset. I would agree that a 1970 or 71 date would be right!

Hey FZ good to see that your back here. Missed ya.
Thanks for the added info. I was able to look up more about the bike. Lots of good things are said about it. And apperntly dirt common [emoji1]
But, that's okay. I'd like to know how it got to its current form.

Latest posts

Back