Early Ballooner Hawthorne and then some

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Less than two weeks after I finished my Rust-DX build I had a guy that contact me about buying it after seeing the pictures on here. That bike now resides in south Florida and the proceeds allowed me to get some new goodies for me and I even had some extra left to buy some Christmas presents for the kiddos.

The first thing I did was feed my hub addiction. I picked up one of the nicest Bendix Automatics I have ever seen. The chrome still shines like new, the red bands are bold, and it shifts like a champ.

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

Along with the Kickback I got my first Campy. This high flange front hub has a date with the buffer at work.

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

Next I got my first New Departure Model A. I have wanted one for a long time and was happy to finally get one. This will find it's way onto my newest bike.

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

And the biggest prize I got was this early 30's Hawthorne Ballooner. I am going to spend some time on this build and do as close to a restoration as I can.

IMG_0865.jpg

Cool curved truss rods
IMG_0866.jpg

Cross brace Bars
IMG_0867.jpg

HEAVY duty Rack
IMG_0868.jpg

Original straight crank and snowflake Sprocket
IMG_0870.jpg

The Model A looks right at home
IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Jiffey kickstand
IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

Heavy Triple Crown Forks
IMG_0877.jpg

The bike came with one Lobdel triple step rim. Now I gotta find another.
IMG_0876.jpg

Can anyone decode the serial number?
IMG_0879.jpg

very nice. really like the frame. this is going to be good. now git ta buildin.

Outlaw 8)

That one will turn out great in ur hands. Looking forward to seeing it finished :p

This was another saved from the steel mill warehouse where it had been for decades.
All barn finds of my dreams now out to the world. I love cycling!

Great start to a sweet ride.Have fun building!

Socal Last said:
. Really like that ND hub. Any idea what kind of kickstand that is?

The kickstand was made by B.C. Jiffy Co. in Chicago. It has a 1934 patent date on it. Jiffy also made stands for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Old Harley guys still call them "Jiffy stands". These are by far the heaviest duty bike stands I've ever run across. I have two of them. Not real common but they are out there. Gary
DSC03929.jpg

DSC03927.jpg

Latest posts

Back