Early Easter Present

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my Daughter were out yesterday thrift storin' and antiquin' and on the way back home got our nerve up to stop and ask about a girls bike we have seen for about two weeks in an old garage. When we pulled in we noticed two more bikes in there too. Knocked on the door and the dude said we could have them and I didn't feel right takin' them so I gave him $20 for all three and this is what we scored." Shorty" laid claims on the Dayton before we even got it in the truck and where we live in NC its hard to find old bikes like this.[img]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/Budeebro1/SearsSpyder.jpg[/img][url
Dayton20.jpg
][/url][img]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/Budeebro1/SchwinnDebbie.jpg[/img]The Debbie is a July 31 1961, Sears 5sp is aroud a '68 and the Daytron I do'nt know yet.

Buddeebro, could you please post the serial number on the Dayton and a picture of the headbadge? Some of the serial number may be under the axle washer or fenderbrace/rack bolt on the left rear dropout. If you can supply the complete serial number including spaces and dots, I can decode it for you. Kenny.

Sorry forgot to post sizes, Deb is a 24",Spyder is a 24" and the Dayton is a 20". Serial # M07-24X73943622(the dash is actually a dot) and the wheels have M.O.MFG.CO. stamped on them.We aired up the tires and rode all three of them yesterday, everything works except the speedo on the Spyder, cables broke[url
DaytonHeadbadge.jpg

What is M.O. MFG. CO. is that Murray of Ohio ? i have a Eliminator i just picked up and it has that stamped on the wheels also .

Cool to see a little Atlanta biking history. Just read up on Bobby Walthour, champion boardtracker.

It would be cool to pay homage to him by making that a boardtracker bike.

P.S. I want that seat! :mrgreen: I've got a BEAUTIFUL NOS Troxel that I'll trade for it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Just got back in town. Had to go buy some bike parts. hahah. Dayton was 1 of 2 different badges that Walthour-Hood Co. used. The other badge said Walco. It is definitely a Murray made bike and the frame is based on the Wildcat. The wheels should have M.O.Mfg.Co. stamped on them if they are original to the bike. Murray Ohio Manufacturing Company. Your serial number breaks down as follows:
MO = Murray Ohio
7 = 1967
24 = model number - same as a Murray badged Missle (equipped)
X73 = Walco/Dayton
943622 = sequential production number.

In the catalog, it shows the missle with a fender mounted headlight. Does this bike have holes in the fender for a headlight to mount? I would like to document this little bike if you can find the time. I am asking for as many detail pics as you would be willing to send me. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you, Kenny.

Back