Early Stages

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, it's happening to me now; between looking for parts bikes for my motorized project and the excitement of discovering this rat bike community, i'm looking for old bikes everywhere i go.

i saw a guy on this old JC Higgins beside a busy four-lane. i whipped around and asked if he'd like to sell it. i bought it and gave him a ride to where he was going. turns out to be a very solid old bicycle. i didn't realize it at the time, but i'm guessing this bike must be 50 years old.

promqueen.jpg

Since it has a 3 piece crank, I'd bet the badge says "Made in Austria", right? That would make it a 56; during that year there was a strike, I'm not sure if it was the factory, or steel mill, or what. But Sears ended up sourcing their bikes from the Stelber co. around that year. I have a similar one myself. ~Adam
adamtinkererscollection011.jpg

it's missing the badge on the head tube, but it's got a German-made Fitchel & Sachs Komet Super coaster hub which does have a little "56" stamped on it, if that's any indication.

thanks for that information, Adam! i guessed it was made in the 50s based on styling and the fact that, IIRC, Sears quit selling the JC Higgins bikes in the early 60s.

Back