EARLY Trek road bike score

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had previously told the scrap collector that comes to my shop that I would buy old bikes from him if he found any. Last week he told me he had an old Trek 10 speed with a headlight and generator on it. I told him to bring it by even though it was probably newer than what I would normally be interested in.

This is what he showed up with. Initially I was kind of disappointed but I noticed it had an older Schwinn seat and the light and generator was kind of cool so I ended up buying it for those couple items.

8713996a8ee092a8492c150b070cfd46.jpg

d4595e5e106403517648f863a9e292a6.jpg

d33ddd57ca463444433a67917805734b.jpg

Once I got it into the shop I got a little curious about it and looked up the serial number.
I found this website to be pretty helpful with figuring out what this bike was.

http://vintage-trek.com/

It looks like it was from 1978 and was sold as a TX300 frame. Apparently Trek sold some bicycle shops just the bare frames which were then completed at the stores. This appears to be one of those. I think that is why it has a Schwinn seat on it.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with it. I think it is pretty cool that this was made in Trek's first or second year of operation and was hand built in Wisconsin.

Wildcat said:
Maybe some of those Trek collectors might be interested in it.

Ideally I'd like that. Although it might not be a high end model it is still the oldest Trek I've ever seen. I'd like to see it go to someone that would appreciate it.

militarymonark said:
what components are on it?

Most of the components are Suntour.

I had a friend that has been a professional bike mechanic for 15 + years look at it last night. He told me he thought it looked like someone had maybe over-tightened the kickstand mount at one point and ovaled that area slightly.

He also thought that it looked like one of the seat stays was pushed out a bit more than the other. After we looked at it a bit closer we saw there was an extra nut on that side of the hub that might be spreading it out. It was his thought that if we removed the wheel the frame would probably go back into shape.

He advised me to pull all of the components off of it (because they make the rest of the bike look cheap) and to shine up the frame. His thought is to sell it. "Ask $200- sell for $150".

We'll see how she fares on CL.

I'm no expert but I would rather have a complete bike, one I like original and two I can ride it while I can upgrade the components if I choose to. It's very expensive to build up a bare frame and fork.

Latest posts

Back