Early Wald pedals- Dismantle???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've obtained an early pedal lot, all pre reflector style and there was what appeared to be a decent set of Wald's. I figured I'd dismantle them, clean them up and regrease everything. Well I removed the blocks, end plates, but when I got to the spindle it appears to be held in by mushrooming the spindle over a washer on the outside end, which is also inhibiting the removal of the spindle tube.

Now I thought I could just grind the end off, but it occurred to me that there would not be enough metal remaining on the spindle to reassemble it in any form... so there they sit, awaiting words of higher knowledge than my own.

Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Hey if this description isn't making any sense I can post a pic of it, just say the word.

Thanks,
Mike G

Some pedals were made this way: not serviceable. Generally they were inexpensive replacement pedals. I have cleaned/degreased then packed with fresh grease, forcing the grease down into the bearings as good as possible, then reassembled. Works pretty well, given that the bearings/surfaces aren't too far gone to begin with.

I ended up degreasing everything, gave the rust a good workout, and cleaned up the blocks... found an oral surgery rinse syringe that has a pretty narrow tip, loaded it up with grease and it gets in there pretty good. So next time you're at the dentist ask if they've got any...

Latest posts

Back