Easy headlight/lamp LED upgrade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was messing around with a mini-mag light the other night that I had put in a Nite-Ize LED upgrade module, these can be gotten for 7 or 8 bucks.

IMG_0607.jpg

and I had an Electra headlight which uses 2 AAs and has 2 bulbs, despite that it's pretty dim, so I tried the module in the Electra and an older headlight and it's a perfect friction fit in either one, wired and soldered it in to the Electra,

IMG_0618.jpg

A little messier with the wires but I got rid of the crappy lever switch and put a solid paddle switch in, wires to LEDs are a slide on connector so they are removable, added second LED for high beam

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

Tried it in a Miller repro light I had also.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Took some shots in the side yard pointing at a propane tank as a comparison in the electra light as this has AAs(which it was designed for) older one has Cs those LED replacements tend to be much more expensive as they tend to be 1-watt. The camera shots don't really do the difference justice, but you get the idea

Incandescent bulb, barely visible

IMG_0614.jpg

LED

IMG_0615.jpg

From the mini-mag I know these modules run for a really long time off 2 AAs, this headlamp has two bulb positions so I'm going to wire another one in. Should be a really useable level of light

That's kind of funny cuz Electra makes an LED version of the headlight that uses a 9V battery but the LED is pretty dim, no better than the incandescent except the color maybe. Go figure.

i tried it with a 9 volt because i had an old baby monitor laying around so i figured 2 snips solder and id be golden...... cant use those leds now though ones burnt the second works and the third blinks non stop :roll: so i opted for a spare mag lite bulb soldered to a 3 triple a battery pack and it works great

Back