ebay bicycle engine dimensions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello intrepid gals and guys who pedal those magnificent wheeled wonders-

I've been thinking of doing a motorized bike for some time now, but before I take the plunge and 'splurge' on an engine kit (Id be using one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT) I had a few questions that maybe someone who already owns one of these could answer.

How wide is the engine? Like how wide in profile in the frame? I have standard Schwinn one-piece cranks on my candidate bike (A mid 60's Schwinn Typhoon) and am wondering if I will have clearance problems from the cranks. I realize I'll have to probably do some work moving the engine around in the frame to begin with, but just wondering if the generic 1-piecers with no dog leg will work.

Similarly, has anyone ran a lever throttle instead of the standard twist-variety that comes with these kits? Because of the way I want to set up the handlebars and riding position, I would rather run a lever (like a brake lever) with the throttle.

Finally, any words of advice or good things to know from owners of this/similar engine kits or bikes with them installed? (besides maybe TURN BACK NOW!! :wink: )

Thanks all!

I've done quite a few and they fit between the standard crank as long as you don't get the pull start for them. They are pretty fun to play around with but try to find a better way to mount the tank or make one if you can cause they are a little flimsy, same for the chain guide thingy. Also if you order from Ebay I bought all 3 of mine from "Boygofast" on there and he's great to work with. I give him my personal recommendation.

From what I read, apparently, the laws vary from place to place as to whether these are treated like bicycles, like motorcycles, or something in between- be sure to research that thoroughly, first.

mine runs a brake lever throttle and a narrow one piece crank.
IMG_0981-2.jpg

IMG_0977-2.jpg

StephenH said:
From what I read, apparently, the laws vary from place to place as to whether these are treated like bicycles, like motorcycles, or something in between- be sure to research that thoroughly, first.
Hopefully you aren't in NJ. Unless it was made as a moped it can't be licensed as a moped, which means you got to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get it titled and licensed as a motorcycle. The only other option is to go outlaw. :(

Thanks so much for the info from everyone who's responded. I'm in WI, and as far as I can deduce from the legal speak in the laws about motorized stuff, these would be legal here requiring no extra licences or anything fancy :mrgreen:

I'm happy to know the cranks should be okay without getting wider ones, but could someone perhaps steal the measurement of the engine for me if they get a chance? I'm in the process of 'research' and planning still to make sure Ive thought it all out. Granted there will certainly be a lot of engineering to do when it all comes down to it, and I can't wait :D

as a geneal rule, most of the engine kits say you require 15" in height, 15" in length, and 5" in width clearance.

if we dont know how to legally classify it, i doubt most cops would either. would they really bother you anyway if you werent raising cane?

There is a section on here for motor bikes.

I HIGHLY recommend doing your research before you buy that engine. There are better engines out there for a little bit more money.

I'll rattle off what I know.

"Universal fit" means it will fit most things with a lot of work.

You need brakes. Good ones.

In a lot of states the 49cc engine is legal on the streets. But it can also vary from county to county. If are not an idiot when you ride, you should be fine.

The Grubbee engines seem to be the better quality engines. When you buy these kits, throw away the chain, the clutch lever, all the hardware and the clamps that bolt the engine to the frame.

Weld plates on to your frame to mount the engine where you want it. These engines are known for breaking at the hardware mounting points. They will either strip out, or just bust off if they are not lined up perfectly. Sometimes the holes are not drilled perfect and the engine will sit funny in the frame too. Welding plated to mount the engine will allow you to put the engine where you want, not where it fits.

Use the tensioner on the PEDAL chain side. Tension the engine chain with the wheel.

Buy a case of loc-tite.

In order to run a lever throttle you will either need to have a custom cable made, or splice the stock throttle cable to a brake cable using a small cable clamp. The stock throttle cable is "one size fits all" and has fittings on each end of the cable. So if you shorten it (or use a lever for throttle) you have to splice it back together. Some hardware stores can put ends on. Then you have to grind them down to the size you want. But I have found that they can break off.

You are going to want to have some sturdy wheels also. Meaning strong wheels with solid hubs. Sealed bearings are ideal and easy to replace.

They are a LOT of fun. They just need some attention when they are being built. If you take your time, you will have less issues.

Beau said:
Use the tensioner on the PEDAL chain side. Tension the engine chain with the wheel.

In order to run a lever throttle you will either need to have a custom cable made, or splice the stock throttle cable to a brake cable using a small cable clamp. The stock throttle cable is "one size fits all" and has fittings on each end of the cable. So if you shorten it (or use a lever for throttle) you have to splice it back together. Some hardware stores can put ends on. Then you have to grind them down to the size you want. But I have found that they can break off.

i'd do away with the stock tensioner also and fashion your own.
the pictured on my bike was actually taken from an old junked moped and welded inplace.
the ones that come with the kit are big,ugly, prone to slipping and damaging frames if cranked too tightly.

as for the cable, i used a standard brake cable and a small clamp for the end.
i've seen old mecanno/errector set pulleys used and the bolts found on alot of bicycle brakes (bolt with a hole through it)
if your worried about them slipping (which they usually don't) after its tightened, bend the cable end right after the bolt (or just add a second)
you can actually purchase litle brass clamps for this pupose, but most of us have old brake parts kicking around.

Back