ECHO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handlebars

I've been wanting to cut up existing bars and reassemble them like this for a while. Glad I finally took the time to do it. Hardest part was getting the old chrome plating off so I could polish everything to match after welding in the new extensions. Not as nice as chrome but from about five feet away not too bad.

01preCut.jpg

02clampAreaMod.jpg

03extensions01.jpg

04extensions02.jpg

The ID between the drop bars and the BMX bars / extension pieces was a little smaller. I modified the sleeves with a length-wise cut so they'd fit.

05gripExtend.jpg

06gripEnds.jpg

And after a lot of sanding and polishing.

07polished.jpg

08polishedDetail01.jpg

09polishedDetail02.jpg

First Test Ride

Before starting the polishing on the handlebars I mounted them and the seat for a test ride. No complaints from the front spokes so, I definitely gained some confidence in lacing my own wheels. The ride is also better than any other bike I've built to date. I'm pretty excited with the results.

01testRide.jpg

Chain-guard

For as much as I've modified this guard I probably should have just started from scratch! Looking at the images it might need some additional tweaking. It looks a little fat in the center to my eye right now. I have some graphics in mind that may visually change the proportions. It's something I need to sit on for a while before making a final decision. Much easier to remove material then add it.

01chainguard.jpg

02chainguard.jpg

03newFront.jpg

04weldupFront.jpg

05weldupBack.jpg

I needed to create some clearance for the rear wheel. I clamped the guard in a vise and bent the edge over a piece a rectangular tubing.

06interference.jpg

07bendingJig.jpg

08clear.jpg

Guard filled and smoothed. Clearance is pretty tight everywhere around it. I really need to get a few miles in with the guard mounted to check for rubbing before calling it done.

09finishedGuard.jpg

Bits and Pieces

I added a small tab for the brake arm. The tab came from the same small child's bike that donated the tabs for the chain-guard.

01brakeArmTab.jpg

I had grown a little concerned about the strength of the rear drop-outs. Especially with the leverage that the sissy bar has at the very ends. I didn't notice any movement on my test ride but decided to go ahead and reinforce them anyway.

02dropoutBefore01.jpg

04dropoutAfter01.jpg

Kickstand

The kickstand was liberated from a Schwinn Collegiate. I didn't document the donation process. It was gruesome, red oxide primer dust everywhere.

01schwinnDonorKickstand.jpg

Gorilla tape is becoming my go to for hard to clamp pieces.

02kickstand.jpg

03kickstand.jpg

I tacked the stand in place, checked clearances, pulled the rear wheel and crank, and then removed the stand leg before finish welding.

04kickstand.jpg

05kickstand.jpg

06kickstand.jpg

Really nice work happening here!
I would encourage you to enter it for voting anyway, even without the finishing touches...
It rides and meets the criteria...

I would second that encouragement. You’ve got more work in the chainguard than I have in my last three bikes, and spectacular as usual (must be nice to have spectacular as your usual). The bike is a winner, especially the Collegiate bits.

furyus

Last edited:
Really nice work happening here!
I would encourage you to enter it for voting anyway, even without the finishing touches...
It rides and meets the criteria...

I would second that encouragement. You’ve got more work in the chainguard than I have in my last three bikes, and spectacular as usual (must be nice to have spectacular as your usual). The bike is a winner, especially the Collegiate bits.

furyus

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. @furyus it is hard to beat the design and quality of some good old Chicago Schwinn pieces!

I just don't think it is close enough to being finished to enter. I've got an idea I want to try out for the shifter that won't be done in time. I think I've decided on a color too. Both of those will make a big difference in how I see it looking when done. I'll definitely keep posting progress either here or if this thread should be moved to the Builds. @LukeTheJoker please let me know if or when you think the thread should be moved.

And speaking of the shifter...

Shifter Design

I decided to try my hand at creating a shifter rather than purchasing one, mostly for the challenge of figuring out and researching how to make it work. I'm pretty sure this is similar to how most 3-speed shifters are designed. I'm planning on stops to keep the handle from moving past first or third and using a spring loaded plunger to locate second.

Measuring Cable Travel on the Shimano Nexus 3-Speed
I checked at the grip shifter too. Both came out at about 1/4 inch travel between gears.

01cableTravel.jpg

Diagram of the Shifter
Knowing I needed 1/4" travel between gears I could design a way to pull and release the cable and determine the amount of shifter handle travel.

02drawingShifterInPosition.jpg

Start of Base and Shifter Handle Plates

03shifter.jpg

04shifter.jpg

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. @furyus it is hard to beat the design and quality of some good old Chicago Schwinn pieces!

Sarcasm, TJ. Kinda like if I said Jan is way hotter than Marsha (eye roll). Regardless, your work is fantastic.

furyus

Last edited:
Shifter Design

I decided to try my hand at creating a shifter rather than purchasing one, mostly for the challenge of figuring out and researching how to make it work. I'm pretty sure this is similar to how most 3-speed shifters are designed. I'm planning on stops to keep the handle from moving past first or third and using a spring loaded plunger to locate second.

Measuring Cable Travel on the Shimano Nexus 3-Speed
I checked at the grip shifter too. Both came out at about 1/4 inch travel between gears.

View attachment 89284

Diagram of the Shifter
Knowing I needed 1/4" travel between gears I could design a way to pull and release the cable and determine the amount of shifter handle travel.

View attachment 89285

Start of Base and Shifter Handle Plates

View attachment 89286

View attachment 89287

Ha! And I'm over here rubbing oil onto old bike parts and calling it a "build." Your stuff is clearly a few levels above the ordinary, TJ. Holy Toledo on the diagrams, dude.

furyus

Wow!!! As usual, you have the classiest workmanship around man! Excellent design, execution, and mad skills! Get this beauty done!!!

I just don't think it is close enough to being finished to enter. I've got an idea I want to try out for the shifter that won't be done in time. I think I've decided on a color too. Both of those will make a big difference in how I see it looking when done. I'll definitely keep posting progress either here or if this thread should be moved to the Builds. @LukeTheJoker please let me know if or when you think the thread should be moved.
How about I leave it here until the build-off is done in case you change your mind? ;)

Give me a nudge after and I will move it to builds for you!

Well didn't make the MBBO deadline but, work continues...

Shifter Internals

Pieces that make up the plunger / stop for second gear. These ended up being trimmed and tweaked a number of times.
05shifter.jpg

06shifter.jpg

This is the start for the handle. I plug welded a cut 3/8 inch bolt to 1/2 inch tubing.

07handle.jpg

All the internal pieces. This ended up being way more elaborate than I originally thought. Happened when I started with a general idea of the shape and size I wanted and then trying to fit everything into that space.

08explodedPieces.jpg

09detail01.jpg

10detail02.jpg

11detail03.jpg

Shifter Internals

Pieces that make up the plunger / stop for second gear. These ended up being trimmed and tweaked a number of times.

All the internal pieces. This ended up being way more elaborate than I originally thought. Happened when I started with a general idea of the shape and size I wanted and then trying to fit everything into that space.

That's what makes doing this stuff fun! It's very satisfying when you get it to work. :happy: Nice job!

Love the back cover of the shifter, where it looks like the metal has been chisled away or broken off in chunks. Very unique detail. Maintaining remarkable, tj.

furyus

Last edited:
Love the back cover of the shifter, where it looks like the metal has been chisled away or broken off in chunks. Very unique detail. Maintaining remarkable, tj.

furyus

Thanks. Unique is one way to describe it but I think that's kinda generous ;). I've got a cover for the entire shifter in mind...

Latest posts

Back