El Demonio Azul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting over with a new name and a new attitude on my build. Which isn't to say I've made any progress at all other than letting my build simmer in my mind before digging in.

Re-named El Demonio Azul (The Blue Demon) I'm gonna try to give this 1953 Firestone Super Cruiser the mild Kustom treatment. I'm a fan of the fifties - sixties Kustom car culture and that is the direction my build is gonna take.

It's gonna get a Kustom paint job and a Nexus three speed to help get this lead sled up and moving.

Sellers photo from when I bought it a couple of years ago:

Super Cruiser.jpg

I kinda, sorta, pieced it back together early this morning for a look at where I'll be starting. The remaining parts are in a box slumbering under my workbench (hopefully).

Super23.jpg

Last edited:
Sexiest bike fenders ever. This should be fun. Great job uncovering the og paint.

I dug out the box of parts for a quick survey. Some are going to require a whole bunch of rehab time. It is way too cold, humid, and windy for spending any more time on this build out in the garage today so I'll watch some YouTube to start learning some painting techniques instead.

Superparts.jpg

In it's original color/or not. it looks so robust. Waiting to see the end result...

CT, you never disappoint! Your penchant for prose and creative musings are only surpassed by your instincts and intuition when it comes to rat rod bike building.

RaT oN~!
Horsing around and having some fun is what it's all about for me. You and I (and I'm sure many others) look to the automotive side for some inspiration. I'm a big fan of the mild Kustoms of the mid 50s - 60s and hope I can do this build some justice.

It is a heavy bike and yes, very robust. The kids that rode these back in the day had some strong legs on them.
I can imagine... For some reason I still like old heavy frames...

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Seventy years ago Johnny Mopp was the new cool kid on the block. Shiny, blingy, and with a healthy appetite for carbon batteries, Johnny could make all of the girls heads turn. But as we all know, time never stops ticking and in a few short years Johnny became just another face in the crowd, pushed aside by the newer and flashier models. To add insult to injury, Johnny was later slathered in blue house paint and then simply forgotten about altogether.

I met Johnny on January 1st, 2021. Johnny wasn't looking too good, the decades of neglect had taken its toll. I brought Johnny home and started removing the blue house paint to see if the glory was still under it but alas, Johnny had been scuffed with 36 grit prior to the Gliddens massacre. I removed all of the remaining paint from the fenders and then like all of the others had in the past, simply pushed Johnny aside. Now the time has come for me to see if I can help Johnny to try to recapture a little of the glory of..................

The plan is fresh paint in the mild Kustom style of Larry Watson and install an updated drive line. I'm an exceptionally bad painter so this could get interesting.

Here is the sellers photo of Johnny on the day we first met.

View attachment 229845

I kinda, sorta, pieced Johnny back together early this morning for a look at where I'll be starting. The remaining parts are in a box slumbering under my workbench (hopefully).

View attachment 229848
Epic ride…. I have the women’s version….. I only have the bottom of the headlight…. Top is long gone.

Latest posts

Back