El Guapo-Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im new to bike building and dont have a shop. All this will be done on the balcony of my apt(youre welcome neighbours!). So I picked this up off of craigslist today. I think its a Flightliner? Yes Im that new.. So I like bikes to be simple. My ideas for this bike are to get the seat back over the rear fender..banana or bent post maybe? I am going to cut the rear fender too to get the bobber look. I saw a paint job I really liked on the forum,it was three different colors of primer sanded to give it a layered look,just have to figure out how he did that exactly.Im gonna put some whitewalls on it go through the bearings and then..ride the heck out of it :D . Im probably not going to use the rear rack or the light and those will probably be up for sale or trade later. Im a noob so any advice,comments or light hearted jabs at my mechanical inclination are welcome. :wink:

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

002-1.jpg

Re: First Build

Got the bike torn down yesterday,all the bearings looked pretty good but I may just get new ones. Wanted to reuse them rims but the bearings are pretty tight and it doesnt look like I can get in there. I may be jumping ahead on the build a little because I did a coat of white primer yesterday and Im about to start on some sanding and a coat of dark grey primer. I dont have all my parts yet but I figure I can paint as I go. Also finding that spray painting in the grass next to my apt makes for alot of junk in the paint!

Prepped and ready for a Houston spray can special!
009.jpg

010.jpg

Got some more done today...
Got two coats of flat black on. Ofcouse while the primer was sitting the frame fell over and put a big gash in it....Ill wet sand it and leave it :D

028.jpg

This is a fork I painted to try and see if I can get the effect Im looking for...ehh its close enough

029.jpg

I was gonna trash the rims that came on the bike but I pulled the bearings out and they were pretty nasty..a little turpintine and some elbow grease and good as new..I mounted some 26x2.125 tires..they look ok but barely clear the forks..Ill have to see if they are going to work
026.jpg

Cleaned up the rims..a little... :wink:
027.jpg

031.jpg

This bike was the first one I ever did as well, rides nice and looks nice. So much you can do with it, but just have fun and cruise the crap out of it after your done :D I like the fade

Thanks..Im gonna try and do some sanding on the frame to get the "worn" look today. Im hoping it comes out right or Im gonna have to repaint the bike. Almost tempted to leave it flat black. I have an awesome idea for the theme...El Guapo. Gotta get some English homework done then Im getting started...wish me luck Ill need it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKto0di3EA

YOUBUGME2 said:
This bike was the first one I ever did as well, rides nice and looks nice. So much you can do with it, but just have fun and cruise the crap out of it after your done :D I like the fade

Looked at your bike..I love it..I gotta stop reading the boards cause everytime I do I get an idea..this thing will never be finished!

thirdcoastpeddler said:
YOUBUGME2 said:

Looked at your bike..I love it..I gotta stop reading the boards cause everytime I do I get an idea..this thing will never be finished!

Thanks,
Same thing happening to me I have 2 more builds going on right now, keep getting ideas to do more.

Didnt mess with the paint today but I got my seat and peddles done. I bought this seat and a mexican blanket.
010-1.jpg

My helper..
014.jpg

Used the clips on the seat and came up with this...I think it will work pretty well..Ill see soon enough
011.jpg

016.jpg

017-1.jpg

I had an Idea for the pedals. I broke the plastic on one of the pedals and will use zip ties to hold it together. It actually stays together ok but I need to use some of my zip ties. I think the other pedal is fine..Glued the picture to the reflector and wrapped it in plastic wrap for protection from the water..This would look sharper if I had a shrink wrap thingamajigy..
002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

006.jpg

Kinda cool I think
009-1.jpg

I found this and Im going to use it for my headbadge..
001-3.jpg

Im off to class and may mess with the paint tomorrow if it doesnt rain

Worked on the frame a little today,the weather didnt cooperate. Its not exactly the look I was going for but Ill keep working it till I like it more. Any comments or suggestions?

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

007.jpg

008-2.jpg

Re: El Guapo

Decided to add a couple little things and mock it up..
009-2.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-2.jpg

Going to have to get narrower tires..I had to deflate the rear to get these on! I want the fender to sit low like this..
018-1.jpg

So I had noticed the forks looked slightly bent and the slot where the axl fits it wider on one side..Well the narrower slot doesnt fir the axl..nothing a little gentle persuasion cant fix. The fork looks bent more than it is here because it isnt seated in the slot..
014-1.jpg

Ill finish the frame,get some bars and maybe an extra surprise and then riiiiide before it gets cold.. :mrgreen:

I like where this thing is going. You should pick up a 20" or 16" strolling and convert it to a beer getting trailer for this bike!

Motopecane said:
I like where this thing is going. You should pick up a 20" or 16" strolling and convert it to a beer getting trailer for this bike!
You got my gears turning now!

Back