Electric diagram help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6v headlight/taillight/generator and I was contemplating adding rechargable D batteries to the system. You know that when you stop the lights go out, so the batteries would keep the lights on but would the generator recharge the D batteries? Kind of like an auto electric system? I'm not a pro on electric stuff so any help here or suggestions?
6vlights.jpg

that is a pretty good schematic. just check the output voltage of the generator and use a battery pack of similar voltage. i would recommend AAA nicads. i stuffed a 4-AAA battery pack into a generator style headlight when i converted mine to a Cateye LED element. it is very bright and runs for days on AAAs. i hope i get a digital camera for christmas, so i can post pictures. after re-reading your post, i realized it said it is a 6 volt generator, which would take 4 batteries, either C D or AA or AAA to equal. make sure they are rechargeables though.

Im no electrical wizzard but I 'think' that generator needs to generate more than 6v to charge a 6v battery pack (7-8v?) and a voltage regulator to keep from overcharging.

My theory is a car alternator puts out about 14v for a 12v system.

Cool guys, I did wonder about a voltage regulator and number and size of the batteries. MagicRat, you are right about the auto alternator, the test is to check with the car runing at the battery for a volt read of 13.5 for the carging system to be functioningly correctly. So I guess the only thing to do is to hook it up and start burning out stuff till it works right. I'm a pyro so it'll be fun!!! :mrgreen:

"Im a pyro so it'll be fun"

If something goes wrong...take pictures!

Hey Big,good luck with it.

most of the generators i've tested say 6 volts but put out closer to 7 at speed. or 12 volts and put out 13 or 14. i would wire up a voltmeter and ride at speed to check your actual output voltage. make sure the lights are on while testing. you can get digital voltmeters for less than $10 at harbor-freight or radio shack. at those small voltage fluctuations you don't really need a voltage regulator, but you can run one.

Back