ELECTRIC ICE (ice trike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI

for a while now i wanted to build a toy to go play on the frozen river by my place .

My Stepbrother gave me an old trike frame last week.
axles were seized bottom bracket is seized...

i'm gonna use my electric front hub motor from a previous build to move that thing on ice, front tire will have screws into it, rear tires will stay on rubber to make slides..

I worked on it for the past few days, here's where i am at right now.

first setup...
xpatente.jpg

xpatente2.jpg

second setup.... ithink i like that one best.
patente006.jpg

third possibility...that one makes for too much rake.
patente005.jpg

cant wait to have it finished!

tell me wich one you prefer!
any ideas welcome!

Re: ice trike

maddogrider said:
Cool idea man, so when summer comes around will you put plastic wheels on the back to slide on the street?

if i can find plastic wheels i might!

I like the first option as it gets you lower to the ground, especially if you are sliding.

Just cut the seat tube off and mount the seat down low.

cman said:
I like the first option as it gets you lower to the ground, especially if you are sliding.

Just cut the seat tube off and mount the seat down low.

the only problem i'm getting by doing that is that i cant reach the bars ..i would have to make the trike shorter and put my feet by the front wheel axle...then the screws on the tire would be a bit dangerous.

on the second pic, flipping the frame that way make the trike a bit shorter, i could build a adjustable seatpost that would slide down the 45 deg angle tube and still be kind of low without compromising leg lenght and handle bar reach...also it puts my weight more on the axle..
ah! i'm still undecide!

Option #1: That is the way to go. Sit on that bottom tube and sliiiiide man slide.

Option #2: You would be styling on this design, but the only thing sliding would be your bottom when it dumps you.

Option #3: I see a few things under that work bench I could use. :wink:

I finaly decided to flip the trike back on the normal side
welded a top tube...thats pretty much what the frame is gonna be, the rest will be a woden box that will serve as battery box, footrest, seat etc..

patente008.jpg

patente011.jpg

HI,

I made some progress today;
added a battery/electronic box, a brake assembly, and worked on the studded font tire.

electricice004.jpg

details of the brake system:

"c" part is the handle
electricice005.jpg

electricice006.jpg

rear section that is gonna bite into the ice
electricice007.jpg

studded front tire
electricice022.jpg

Next step, add some padding to the top of the box to make a seat.
add footrest
add electric components in the box.

Oh man gonna have to put a fender on the front to keep your face from getting iced :D. I wanna ride it, it just looks like alot of fun. Reminds me of when my brother and i used to make tracks on my neighbors pond and race around with our bikes when we were kids. Ah the misspent youth :D

Sorry, the pics too out of focus: How did you make the studded tire? Are you using 1/2" sheet metal screws or small nuts/bolts?

OCD said:
Sorry, the pics too out of focus: How did you make the studded tire? Are you using 1/2" sheet metal screws or small nuts/bolts?

i'm using number 8 1/2" metal screw, and grind them down to 1/8 approximately. shorter spikes ride nicer and grip as much.

Haha bro thats crazy!!! It took me a minute to understand the brake.You couldnt go any more simple than that.Cant wait to see you ridin it.

Back