ELGIN - ESTATE SALE FIND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug out the list I have for Westfield production. Total 1936 production reached just over 260,000 units so if production were linear then 215,650 would have been reached during October. In this case interpreting C10 as October 1936 works. I’m happy when the system works on bikes that are relatively easy to date because it makes me more confident dating the more difficult ones.

A caution is that I have found frames were the two numbers don’t match the described pattern in which case I am inclined to trust the longer number over the shorter one.

While I’m on the subject of Westfield Serial numbers I’ll add that 1934 serial numbers begin with “M” and 1935 serial numbers begin with “N”. 1935 appears to be the first year that two separate numbers were stamped.

What I didn’t note is that the Catalog never depicts the bike with a tank. This is also true of the earlier balloon models with this Moto frame. In real life the earlier bikes do appear occasionally with tanks and an aftermarket tank that fits the frame was offered on the parts and accessory page of the Sears catalog.

Your bike would have been originally painted with the graphics depicted in the ad that you posted and was available in black/white or red/white. If the current paint is green and there are no signs of paint or red primer beneath then the past owner probably stripped it and repainted it at some time.

I’m fond of these bikes so if I had found it I would probably look for a bike with good original paint and failing chrome and swap the parts over. I would also consider repainting the frame and fenders as the original pattern is one of the easier ones to duplicate. Lastly I wouldn’t feel too bad parting it to other Elgin projects as these bikes are not excessively rare and it doesn’t retain its original paint.

Anyway you choose to go you have a very nice score.

Phil

for the lov eof god keep that bike and don't part it out!! even though there are a ton of parts on it that i would love to have :? :wink:

bigdumbhead said:
for the lov eof god keep that bike and don't part it out!! even though there are a ton of parts on it that i would love to have :? :wink:

Tell ya what...send me a money order for $800 and I won't part it. :lol:

Just kiddin' :wink:

Just Green over here at what you guys pick up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bigdumbhead said:
haha ok hold your breathe the checks in the mail! :wink:

cat-holding-breath.jpg

From what I have heard, the balloon model Elgins from those years did not have a tank. The 28" wheeled models from before it did and the tank will work on that frame though.

I would keep it. Keep it! Do eeeet! Keep it!

The issue I have currently run into is that I have too many keepers! :shock:

My rules have always been to let one of the heard go if I plan to bring another into the fold.

My current heard consists of the following...

1. Elgin MX Cruiser
2. 97 GT Dyno Moto 7
3. 94 GT 24" BMX Cruiser
4. 83 Predator Competition BMX
5. 84 Mongoose Expert BMX
6. 08 Electra Sparker Special
7. 84 Schwinn Sierra MTB

Hmmmm decisions decisions....

Rat Rod said:
My current heard consists of the following...

1. Elgin MX Cruiser
2. 97 GT Dyno Moto 7
3. 94 GT 24" BMX Cruiser
4. 83 Predator Competition BMX
5. 84 Mongoose Expert BMX
6. 08 Electra Sparker Special
7. 84 Schwinn Sierra MTB

I think you forgot one......What happened to the Firestone Super Cruiser?

Your herd is looking a little to new. Better keep this one.

I sold the Super Cruiser to a cool guy locally who owns a fastener company.

I also just shipped off the 85 Predator Streetwise BMX that sold on Ebay last week.

The idea of keeping the bike is VERY tempting....see what I did yesterday....

DSC_0018-1.jpg

The bike keeps saying...POWDERCOAT ME BLACK PLEEEEASE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definitely black or red. Maybe find a correct drop stand for it also. KEEP IT! :lol:

How about black frame and forks with bare metal fenders and red, white and black pinstripes on the fenders? :mrgreen:

BTW...the seat is toast...70 year old dried up leather split the first time I tried to sit on it.

Also, you can't see it from the photos, but those tires are bad too. The white walls are disintegrating. :cry:

Markm said:
Rat Rod said:

....bigger garage :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Since it's always so sunny and wonderful where you live, maybe you can convince the wife to park the minivan in the driveway? :lol: :lol: :roll:

Back