Elgin ID Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have the SN yet. Also, the seller said they were 26 1 3/8 tires, but those rims look like they have offset spokes (no like the schwinn rims i've seen IIRC) so does that mean they're just regular 26"?

elgin4.jpg

elgin3.jpg

elgin2.jpg

elgin2.jpg

elgin5.jpg

It's an early-mid 30s Oriole model, the smaller version that had 26" singletube (glue on) tires. The rims and crankset are from a wartime Elgin, but those bikes had simple diamond frames. Also, they changed from the badge on your bike, to the 'V' version around mid 37. -Adam

subadrew said:
glue on tires... that's why I'm confused about the size. How hard/expensive are they to replace?

I still haven't bought it and now I'm thinking I shouldn't to not have to deal with those tires.

The tires on the bike now are standard 26 x 1 3/8" tires, on the wartime black rims. What I'm saying is by looking at that second fork, it's too narrow for a balloon tire. And the replacement rims don't look small on the frame, as they would if it had the more common 28" singletube rims. So I'm thinking it was the smaller model, with 26" st rims, which would be near impossible to find today, and also there aren't any repop tires made for them. -Adam

Latest posts

Back