"Engine Block Blue" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I can't really call this my "latest" build, because its the only bike I own. I just keep reworkin' it into newer generations. This time around, I went from the old flat gray primer color to DupliColor's "Engine Block Blue" 500 degree spray paint. No, I don't really expect my bike to get up to 500 degrees, but I think the color looks good! I'm planning on adding white DMR V8 platform pedals, white Oury grips (the best!) and possibly some white tires, if I can find a tread pattern I like.

The bike is from an unknown maker. It is a modern aluminum cruiser fame with chromo fork. Equipped with a SRAM internal 7spd drivetrain and SRAM brakes. Modern Alex rims and a host of mid-grade parts, like the Kalloy stem and seatpost.

I got the chromed steel handlebar from a woman's Huffy cruiser. I cut down the ends by about 1.5 inches. I replaced the SRAM Spectro S7 twist shifter with a vintage clamp-on stem shifter (with one shifter removed). I can't tell which gear I'm in now, but who cares. That old SRAM twist shifter was about the size of a small grapefruit! I'd like to track down a white Campy or Huret shifter cover for this lever. However, that may be difficult to do.

Thanks for lookin.

BlueCruiser0001.jpg

BlueCruiser0002.jpg

BELOW: Photo of old paint job, old handlebar and old SRAM shifter.
IMG_6000.jpg

Engine block blue. Looks nice!.....I never would have guessed a bike, "medium" blue, would still look RATTY. But it does! 8)

Yeah, most car guys would recognize the color as "Ford" blue, but I guess the folks at DupliColor didn't want to pay any $$ for putting that name on their spray cans! After I painted it, I found out that the texture of the paint is actually a lot like 100 grit sandpaper; it's not glossy and has tiny "particulates" in it. Not what I expected, but I think I'll keep it...at least for a while. :mrgreen:

Back