ENGLISH GRAMMAR & SPELLING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Okay...I'm not sure what has happened over the past couple of months, but we seem to be getting more members who think posting as if you are writing a text message is the new way to communicate with each other. The spelling is getting a lot worse too.

This is concerning to me. Is this really the way things are heading? :shock:

I'm not sure if it's because people are in a hurry or they don't re-read their posts, but some of the posts lately have almost been impossible to even understand.

Take an extra minute and re-read your post before you hit the submit button to make sure things look correct. :wink:

People posting from smart phones contributes to this.

Not to mention with my own experience Firefox runs 10 times faster than internet explorer.

I guess smart phones aren't that smart...lol

outskirtscustoms said:
Not to mention with my own experience Firefox runs 10 times faster than internet explorer.

I guess smart phones aren't that smart...lol

Haha, people with big fingers, and tiny little letters on a greasy, smudged up screen don't mix. I can see why someone would just say screw it! :lol:

Agreed.

The degradation of society, yada yada yada.

I would initially jump to conclude the problem stems from today's teens/ early twenties and texting habits, but hey, I text like a maniac but can still come here and lay down some righteous prose.

Unfortunately the problem doesn't center around a particular age demographic, I know of at least a couple of characters here who are old enough to have landed on the beaches at Normandy but can't string a coherent sentence together to save their lives.

For goodness sakes folks, have some self respect and make an attempt at conveying your thoughts legibly.

(Other forums have adopted strict guidelines for such issues. Post like a mental midget a couple of times and they pull your plug.)

I've been texting (mostly with teens/tweens) for about 8 years now, but I never made the jump to textese, I write my texts like I would write a term paper, spelling and grammar have always been very important to me because people *will* judge you by the way you type/text.

Interestingly, I have friends who are teaching on the college level and college students turn in term papers and research papers with text abbreviations in them. :shock: So sad.

Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? Scary how prophetic that movie is becoming.

Like this recent posting?...

"I have 4 Schwinn Orange County Choppers still boxes from 1 St week they 937 878 9318 untouched from the day offered to public were introduced"

holy crap. That hurt my head to read.

Hopefully everybody remembers this from grade school. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

image015.png

All kidding aside, we should all try harder to write so our mothers would understand us.

Ha! I was really glad to read this being brought to everyone's attention. I've been tempted to do the same thing myself - about 100 times - but figured that as annoying as it is, it wasn't my place. Thanks, Steve. 8)

Hammond Eggz said:
Ha! I was really glad to read this being brought to everyone's attention. I've been tempted to do the same thing myself - about 100 times - but figured that as annoying as it is, it wasn't my place. Thanks, Steve. 8)

I once made a plea on a motorcycle forum for folks to think about the proper threads for their posts, thinking it would make good posts easier to find later. Man, was THAT a mistake.....

I should have just done this.....

kick_me1.jpg

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford

Thanks Rat Rod. I did catch some flack the other day for pointing this out. Although my spelling has never been the best I do make an attempt to be correct. With all the spell check utilities built into our computers it has become very easy to check on spelling and grammar. Some times criticism is not meant to be a put down but an attempt to help.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
Winston Churchill

"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help."
Abraham Lincoln

Back