Ergonomics.....or Doesn't anyone know how that seat posts actually can be adjusted?? ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some people can't get over the cross bar on mens bike so the wouldn't raise up their seat to high , they may be afraid when they stop that they will fall over !
I feel like that when I ride the trek 820 I have. My oldest makes fun of me because it fits him almost perfect. Im about 8 inches shorter than he is.

On a road or touring bike you should have the seat high enough to give full leg extension. That's the most efficient way to pedal. On a mountain bike it should be somewhat lower to allow you to better absorb bumps, however many mountain bikers raise and lower their seats depending on the ride and the terrain. So if you're riding a mountain bike on the street, you may as well raise your seat and get a full leg extension too. You can drop it a few inches when you hit the trail. On a cruiser you often need it a bit lower too. Those cruiser style seats are more comfortable with your knees bent a little. Plus, they just look so wrong with the seat way up high. BMX bikes typically slam the seat so it doesn't get in the way when they're doing tricks and acrobatics. Most of them are being ridden by 12 year old kids though and they don't care at all about efficiency or knee injuries.

On a road or touring bike you should have the seat high enough to give full leg extension. That's the most efficient way to pedal. On a mountain bike it should be somewhat lower to allow you to better absorb bumps, however many mountain bikers raise and lower their seats depending on the ride and the terrain. So if you're riding a mountain bike on the street, you may as well raise your seat and get a full leg extension too. You can drop it a few inches when you hit the trail. On a cruiser you often need it a bit lower too. Those cruiser style seats are more comfortable with your knees bent a little. Plus, they just look so wrong with the seat way up high. BMX bikes typically slam the seat so it doesn't get in the way when they're doing tricks and acrobatics. Most of them are being ridden by 12 year old kids though and they don't care at all about efficiency or knee injuries.
Well said.

Luke.

I guess I need to remember we are talking about bike shaped objects masquerading as mountain bikes, (MBSO's)bought not at a bike shop, but at Wally World, the inventors of the Bork for the masses.

Along with all the nature and history inspired posters on the trail I think they need to find a simple bike fitting guide and post it as well.

I really enjoyed the Crossroads on the trail, once I had the seat high enough for full leg extension. It could move along at a pretty good clip with ease. I would doubt the riders of the fully suspended MBSO's with the lowrider seats could say the same. Perhaps they still had the voice of their old gym teacher in their head...no pain, no gain....

Went for another ride on the Niskayuna bike trail on Sunday... This time on my super heavy Schwinn Mesa Runner I picked up on Saturday. Nothing has changed, as far as the misadjustment and wrong gear crowd.. I got a kick out of a conversation I overheard --"So did you try shifting down when you hit that big hill?" answered with " No, and I ran out of momentum before I hit the top"... This from a member of the younger generation...who I passed handily on a downhill stretch due to the incredible mass of the Schwinn...:crazy::rockout:

By the way this is the first biking I've done since the post earlier in the thread, as I was demoted to only walking by whatever was wrong with my hip. I'm ecstatic to report all is well now. (Now I just have to resist the temptation to drab more bike shaped objects of disrepair to the apartment)

Edit: I was able to ride the Trek road bike with the seat down way too far today and still no issues...Oh yeah! Time to get serious about some of my decrepit bike collection!

Last edited:
I was told to place your heal on the pedal then adjust the seat so your leg is straight. When you pedal this gives you the right amount of bend in the leg. Never had any knee/back issues with my mt. Bike set up this way. I thought the road guys did this also.

I was told to place your heal on the pedal then adjust the seat so your leg is straight. When you pedal this gives you the right amount of bend in the leg. Never had any knee/back issues with my mt. Bike set up this way. I thought the road guys did this also.
So, I recently got a seat and with it, instructions on setup. It says you want your seat height 87% of your inseam.
Whether that's true or not, I don't know but it's Hella comfortable.

You definitely don't want to fully extend your legs while sitting and pedaling.

My knees hurt after riding in a low position. The correct seat height is where your legs are almost stretched out completely. I like the crank forward bikes that let you stretch out and plant your feet on the ground. With a laid back seat post on a cruiser frame, you can almost get there. For photos, the old bikes ratted out always look better with the seat all the way down, but for rides need the seat raised.
14dgjtk.jpg

b55dow.jpg
"Up to go, down for show. :cool2:

I'm 6'1" actually, and the lack of cruisers that fit is one of the things that drew me toward Stretch Cruisers (I've got a bunch now) Here's a list from front to back.
TheFuriousFive.jpg

The Micargi Royal fits pretty well, although it did need a bit more fine tuning
of the position to get the ride right.
The Ruff Porucho-fits like a glove with the seat down- biggest frame of the bunch.
THe Kahaki Baron-also a nice fit the seat is raised just a bit.
My chrome Dyno stretch knock-off does have the seatpost raised, but the rest of the bike sits so low you never really notice.
Locomotive breath was a custom build so I knew it would fit.
I also have an Electra Tall Boy Cruiser that fits pretty nice.
t5.jpg

I found the best way to figure a frame fit is to take a bike that fits you comfortably now when you ride. Measure from the top of the seat to the center of the crank and use that measurement as your standard. I measured the distance on the Chrome Stretch and used that on the last 3 I built, and it works for me.

I can offer some crossover info from the martial arts. Your arms and legs are strongest in extension from 90 degrees to all the way straight (not locked!), especially that last couple of inches of extension. By not extending all the way, you rob yourself of the strongest part of the pedal stroke.

Back