Evening rides are the best

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's unusually hot here in Montreal. 68 degrees on the 22nd of October is down right tropical. Me and my 17 year old son took the Goose and Victoria for their shake down rides this evening and all went well. We rode the streets of the Mile End district for an hour and a half and apart from a loose BB on the Goose, everything was fine. My son qualified Victoria as "Best ride ever!". Just taught I would share. :D

Here in Colorado Springs it looked like fall (the leaves and wind) but it was over 75 on Saturday. Sunday it snowed all morning and it was in the low to mid 30's. This was wintery with remnants of the snow. I didn't look at the thermeter. But I was sweating by afternoon.

I like riding at night-- with lights. Lots of lights. Bikes are viewed as a nusance in this city and whatever it takes to be seen I will do. Evening rides can be poetic, just don't get lost in the poetry while you're riding. A student was thrown whole bunches of feet after being hit by a car while riding in front of my dorm.

If you live in a place where cars are few and far between, and/or they know how to deal with cyclists, enjoy. Enjoy the stillness, the colors of the sky, and if you have it the company. Enjoy to a point of bliss. I mean by no means old and wise, but I can say with quite a bit of certainty those will be the moments remembered.

(My appologies if I got a bit airy and preachy. I'm finishing an existential philosophy course.)

I rode home tonight by the moonlight!Really,had to work late and forgot my headlight! Nice thing though is the converted RR track bike path that I was on for 6 mi. And the Big Dipper was very promanent! Oh,and I almost hit some Deer! GoodTimes! L8 EM

Korporal said:
If you live in a place where cars are few and far between, and/or they know how to deal with cyclists, enjoy. Enjoy the stillness, the colors of the sky, and if you have it the company. Enjoy to a point of bliss. I mean by no means old and wise, but I can say with quite a bit of certainty those will be the moments remembered.

(My appologies if I got a bit airy and preachy. I'm finishing an existential philosophy course.)

Amen to that brother, no need to apologies for what is true.

O.K., so Nogoodnic hasn't jumped on this yet, so I'll beat him to it! Last week Kelly (Nogoodnic) and Rick (Nogoodnic's dad) came down to pick up an old garden tractor and brought their bikes. While riding thru the darkness, Kelly and I started talking about how we loved riding at night and fouind that we all had an infactuation for full moon riding! There's nothing cooler than that big chunk of moon lighting the road or trails as you pedal! 8) Any of you other guys find moonriding cooler than an Eskimos butt?

Yes you did beat me to it, Chainy. Since I was a teenager I have always enjoyed ridding under the full moon with no lights. In particular the fall harvest moons put off alot of light to see by but you have to be carefull if you get into a wooded area because it gets real dark real fast. I was able to go for a nearly ten mile ride last month at midnight. I was just looking at the moon tonight and thinking it is getting close again. Are there any other vampire ridders like myself and Chainsaw?...Kelly

Being something of a night owl myself, I certainly know the appeal of riding after dark. Of course, with winter setting in and the days getting shorter, riding after dark is often a necessity.

On a less wintery note, while on vacation recently I was able to do a night time bike tour of Paris :D

Paris on a warm autumn night - what more can I say?

:D :D :D :D

-Mp

I'll second the fall moon being really bright. I was just in a slot canyon in Utah for 4 days, minus a tent. I had to pull my sleeping bag over my eyes the moon was so bright.

Latest posts

Back