Ex-Lurker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lurking about here for a while now I feel it's time I make it honest.
I started building and modding bikes back in the '70s (yep, I'm old) when BMX took off and you had to "roll yer own". We would scour alleys and garage sales for Schwinns because they were regarded as having frames stout enough to hold up.... for a while anyways. Later, better frames became available but we would still build our bikes from the ground up, which was half the fun in the sport. I love seeing the old BMXers and the bikes from the '70s that I coveted as a kid. Right now I'm looking for a 24" BMX for my 14 year old daughter, she loves riding my bike but wants something a little tighter. I know it's not much of a "Rat" but my current bike is a labor of love none the less. I bought it in '98 as a runabout, rode it for a few months, then parked it. Coming from a BMX background I hated it for it's "clunkiness". A few years go by and one day it was hanging on the wall and I had a thought: what would it take to make it something that I could actually enjoy? A surly hub and a BMX freewheel got the ball rolling and soon my orange M400 was this green money pit. The only things left stock are the frame and fork. Hopefully, once my current project is done, I can get back to my first love... bicycles. Now, when I'm lurking, at least you'll know who's looking over your shoulders. :)

Ex m400:

Current project:

Thanks guys. I think that's the BMXer in me coming out.... I like my bikes light and simple. I've never owned a bicycle or motorcycle that didn't get "personalized" and I finally decided to roll my own from the ground up. The only things that have been farmed out so far is having the valve seats cut and some welding on the tank (I've got to get a TIG). The frame is a one off to my specs, and I've done all of the motor, tranny, and wheel building. There is real satisfaction to building something yourself, no matter how it turns out. I'm really looking forward to wrapping it up so I can get back to bikes (and ride it) :)

I have a build thread on another site for those who are into modded motorcycles.

Back