Excelsior Deluxe- 6/29--chainguard mounted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this bike Scwhinn Excelsior about a year ago. Left it out side so the parts could rust some more. I expect something to be stuck. The chain will need a rehab bath in some Transmission fluid. My plan is to strip the house paint and add a few new parts to make it a deluxe version. The "Deluxe" comes from a Ford Deluxe emblem that I purchased from Dumpster Diver. It will be added in on the build somwhere.

As Found
Excelsior1.jpg

Worked on stripping the paint today with some oven cleaner. It is coming off pretty good and it great to see the original paint underneath. Definitely going to be ratty.

IMG_20110501_181411.jpg

Re: Excelsior Deluxe

Prewar- that's the way to roll!

8)

Bendix said:
Prewar- that's the way to roll!- 8)
Looks to be 1940 after I got the crank out.

Rat Rod said:
Cool...looks like someone had fun Rat Rodding that one in the past. :D
Yep. Most every thing came off easy too.

Double Nickle said:
Glad you joined us!
I might be leaving too. :shock: :shock: The stem is stuck tight. I tried beating it out after allowing some penetrating oil to work. No go. So I tried twisting it out with all the leverage of the handle bars. All I have to show for that technique is a bent fork and a goose egg above my eye.

Bummer too as the stem is pretty cool. I am going to let it sit for few more days with a daily soaking. Hope fully it will come out or I will be searching for a new stem and fork.

I will be staying in. Just hate it the bike beats me. Bike 1, Clancy 0

If I can't find a fork with the proper patina, the bike may be getting this treatment. Then I would have matching rats.

SDC10394.jpg

cman said:
I... Just hate it the bike beats me. Bike 1, Clancy 0...

I've experienced a lot of that when tinkering with bikes. I always end up using the same (technical) parts the bike came with...
Glad I'm finaly starting to win the bicycle tire sizing wars....
:wink:

herr_rudolf said:
Glad I'm finaly starting to win the bicycle tire sizing wars.... :wink:

I am still deciding on tires. I really like the two sizes like yours and others have done. I think I need some white walls for a "deluxe" bike so my choices are little more limited, but I have an idea.

I did some more paint stripping with the oven cleaner. The frame is coming along nicely. There is going to be some black left here and there as I don't want to eat into the original paint. The wheels someone rattle canned silver. I tried the oven cleaner on them and found creme underneath with hints of some red stripes underneath.

here is the difference.
IMG_20110503_081336.jpg

The nothing done fun update.

I took the frame and forks down to the Boise Bike Project and got some help rebending the forks back from the twisting that I gave them. Probably one of the coolest tools ever is a Park Dropout and Alignment tool. http://www.parktool.com/product/frame-a ... -set-FFG-2 The forks are back to being straight and the wheel should be aligned well. The bad news is the stem is still stuck. I don't know if it will ever come out. The bearings seem fine though so I might squeeze some grease in there and call it good.

I still am stripping the rattle can black off the frame. EasyOff oven cleaner and my fingernail seem to work best. There is still going to be some black on the frame but it will just add to the over all look.

Re: Excelsior Deluxe- 5/6- Nothing done update.

Can't really call this a mockup, but figured out the rear fender will need some modifying. I figured a Deluxe bike will need some chrome fenders.

IMG_20110506_172239.jpg

i like the way the old paint looks with the black! :D i dont know who made those stems, but they are heavily forged! ive got 4 of them and they are indestructable.

Yep the remaining black will stay. I may clear coat with a matte finish as there is some bare metal showing.

Re: Re: Excelsior Deluxe- 5/6- Nothing done update.

bighit said:
"nothing done update" haa love that.
Thanks, still need to find a few parts before I start too much more.

Here is the emblem that I will be adding to make it Deluxe. I bought this from DumpterDiver and he said it was from a 1940 Ford. Well it turns out the bike is a 1940 too after looking at the crank. This build must be destiny. :wink:

FxCam_1294427184075-1.jpg

Re: Excelsior Deluxe- 5/12- Emblem

Now if I could just get motivated. I have been to busy lately especially on the weekends lately. Plus sometimes I figure just get the basics down and let the inspiration start flowing in.

Re: Excelsior Deluxe- 5/12- Emblem

I finally had some time to start working on this again. The crank and seat are installed. I am still waiting on some parts for the ND hub to get the wheelset finished. I have a whitewall Jerald for the rear and skinnier whitewall for the front.

I picked this chainguard up at the swap. I think it is a Colson. It was originally green so I painted it black the sanded to create some wear spots. I plan on affixing this "Deluxe" emblem to it. Any one have ideas? Do they make little spring clips that slide down these shafts?

IMG_20110623_211121.jpg

IMG_20110623_211109.jpg

Re: Excelsior Deluxe- 6/20--update...... finally

Bring the emblem to a body shop and see if they have anything to fit the pins..............Can't wait to see it on the chainguard, next month! :lol:

Back