"F.E.D." Huffy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we go!!!! My RRB Project #3!

I picked up this Huffy cruiser frame last summer (2011) for free and stuck it under the house for a "rainy day".
DSCN1077.JPG

DSCN1078.JPG

Then, I found this front wheel at a yard sale at a STEAL! (1 buck!)
DSCN1079.JPG

DSCN1080.JPG

DSCN1082.JPG

At the "regional" bike shop (Performance Bike) I found this skinny slick tire on clearance ($8).
DSCN1087.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

....mounted.....
DSCN1089.JPG

DSCN1091.JPG

So, with these initial acquisitions, I conceived this evil plot to build a 2-wheeled interpretation of a '60's front engine dragster, or F.E.D.

Broke down the old rear tire for the coaster hub. Went by a cool LBS and told the owner what I was doing. He ended up giving me a naked alloy rim and a damaged wheel for the spokes (turned out they were stainless!) Tried to lace the rim to the coaster hub, but the spokes are too long. I may just sand and epoxy paint the old steel rim black and lace it up.

Got online and ordered an straight alloy MTB bar, rear BW tire, black finger grips, etc. to kick this build off! Wuld have ordered a sulky square slick, but couldn't force myself to spring the $40 when $11 would do.....

Any ideas on other items to incorporate in the design? Looking for input!!!!

Still waiting for my shipment......supposed to be here Tuesday!

Uggggh! I hate waiting! I'm soooo impatient!

Looking GOOD!!! I picked up a cruiser frame today and I was thinkin about putting a set of 700 wheels on it. 8) :mrgreen:

Re: "F.E.D." Huffy (First Mock-up)

Been a whirlwind around our house lately, so haven't been working on the FED much. Quick update:

Picked up an Electra womens cruiser the other day at the scrapyard, alloy wheels and a Nexus 3-speed rear coaster hub. The rim is painted/powdercoated a gunmetal/magnesium color....perfect for the rear. It had some broken spokes, so my new LBS cut and threaded replacement spokes yesterday. Installed the spokes and mounted my rear tire. Now it looks like this:

DSCN1107.JPG

Got the shifter cable cut last night. Also installed the chain and a set of "surplus" pedals. Tightened it all up and took it for a quick spin close to midnight last night. Still need grips and I could really use a bent seatpost, but it rode really well. I didn't think I'd like the 3-speed hub, but it's going to come in really handy, shifts really well!

Next step is to break it all back down and do a thorough cleaning. No paint on this one, the "patina" is really starting to grow on me.

BTW....If you haven't used it before, you owe it to yourself to try Honda's Spray Polish and Cleaner. I wish I had taken before/after pics of the frame. BIG improvement! If it wasn't so expensive, I'd use it on all my cars/trucks!

Back