Factory Boardtracker?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Does anyone know of a 'factory' boardtracker bicycle.
What I'm asking was did any vintage manufacturer market a 'true' boardtracker style bicycle with dropped handlebars, just a rear fender, perhaps a 'tank'? I know that in the 70's (and even today) motorcycle types are mimicked. Were cruisers and 'racing' models it?

Cheers,
Dr. T

You've got the chicken and egg mixed up...

The track bicycle came 1st. Boardtrack motorcyles were basically heavy duty track bicycles with engines added.

If you ever get a chance, tour the "Wheels through Time" museum. It used to be in Maggie Valley, N.C., but I think it's been moved.

Re: You've got the chicken and egg mixed up...

loudboys said:
The track bicycle came 1st. Boardtrack motorcyles were basically heavy duty track bicycles with engines added.
Boardtrack motorcycles were built from stock motorcycles from the early 1910's to late 1920's (Harley Davidson, Indian..ect) and were not bicycle with engines added

Bicycles styled after board-track motorcycles are a recent fad, coming about in the last few years. There were bicycles that emulated motorcycles that were popular in the teens and twenties but they were styled after road motorcycles, not racing models. Actual track racing bicycles from the board track era were standard diamond frame fixed gear bikes, just like to modern ones. Flipped bars on bicycles go all the way back to the days of the scorcher. These guys were basically the time periods equivalent of the modern lycra clad carbon fiber crowd. They ran flipped bars for the low aerodynamic riding position, rather than the "proper" upright seating position. They didn't use fenders, or lights or a bells, probably shed for the weight savings. Scorchers would ride all out, as fast as they could.

Here is a motorcycle inspired bicycle.
meadranger2.jpg

A racing styled road bike, and a racing bicycle.
columbiaracer.jpg

A Motor pacing motorcycle and racing bicycle on a board track.
bobbywalthour.jpg

I think this is almost a chicken/egg thing. Keep in mind that some of the early motorcycles evolved out of bicycle design and were built by bicycle racers. Glenn Curtiss' motorcycles are a good example of this. He was a bicycle builder/racer that started building his own engines around the turn of the century. His company transitioned into motorcycle building and did so for several years before he got distracted with early aviation by Alexander G. Bell. But in that case, the early motorcycles were basically beefied up bicycle designs with engines added.

Latest posts

Back