Fat Fender Fitment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a set of wide aftermarket fenders for my firestone. I need to bend or cut about an inch on each side to clear the fork legs and seat stays. Does anyone know how to do this cleanly, or should I just grab a set of pliars and go to town?

I helped a friend do this several years ago and If I recall correctly we did something like this...
Found a small round log that fit the same curve as the fender. Cut two slices off of the log. Placed them inside the fender leaving a gap between the two log slices where the fender needs to be narrower. Then used some sort of clamp to squeeze the fender sides closer together.
Hope that made sense.

aka_locojoe said:
I helped a friend do this several years ago and If I recall correctly we did something like this...
Found a small round log that fit the same curve as the fender. Cut two slices off of the log. Placed them inside the fender leaving a gap between the two log slices where the fender needs to be narrower. Then used some sort of clamp to squeeze the fender sides closer together.
Hope that made sense.
made sense to me, excelent idea

Cool, thanks for the idea. I'm still a bit scared to bend up a new pair of fenders, but I have no other choice.

I notched mine with a 4" wheel-die- angle -what ever grinder
IMG_0021cb-1.jpg
:shock: :shock:

Thanks for the visual outsider, but did the cuts make the fender more floppy? If not I'll take the cutting route.

Back