Fat & Sassy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Frame Build

Uncle Stretch said:
Oh yeah I saw you have a roller bender too. I was going to ask you if while bending the tubing
do you sing ship songs while turning the big wheel back and forth? Like Yo Ho and a bottle of rum?
Maybe your not old enough. :p :p :p :p

Pm sent.

My aplolgies offered.

Rich

Ok its getting closer to done. A little more welding and grinding...build the dropouts and it ready
for some paint. Well its not that close. :roll:
It looks pretty good though.
DSCF0002-139.jpg

Thanks guys. I was thinking that a curved tube going in to a straight tube on the stays was wrong.
With the tires on it I think it will look ok . Maybe add to the stubby look. Heck I have looked at it so
much I can't tell anymore. :? . hopefully tomorrow I will get a fresh start.
DSCF0001-160.jpg

I don't have anything to curve a 1'' tube with. Three benders and still not enough. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That would have looked good though. Really just a straight one would have looked better.
Its getting closer to being cut up on the floor. :wink:

How about taking the chainstays you have and rotating them up a few degrees? Sorry no photoshop.

Yeah Clancy I'm going to cut it out tomorrow and rotate it into the trash. Was a bad idea to begin with.
I never said I was a designer.

Uncle Stretch said:
Yeah Clancy I'm going to cut it out tomorrow and rotate it into the trash. Was a bad idea to begin with.
I never said I was a designer.
Don't be so hard on yourself Paul...I think the frame looks great, but do question the 90 bend on the chainstays as well as the 1" diameter. I am curious why you don't use the smaller diameter tubing on the chain stays as well as the seat stays. The chain stays are primarily in tension so the smaller tubing should be strong enough. I have ridden (and broken) a lot of mountain bike frames and none of the failures have ever been in the stays and they are all smaller than 1/2", probably thinner wall as well.
Just my two cents ...Oh and if you decide to throw it in the trash just toss it in a bike box and I will send you a Fedex call tag and you can ship it to me for proper disposal :mrgreen:

2many I am just disappointed in my design. Its different and that is what I was going for. My designs are stagnant.
I was trying to build something different and the more I looked at it the less I liked it. Happens sometimes to me.
They usually wind up cut up in the trash. I use the 1'' tubing and its overkill , but I never worry about one breaking.
I look at the spindly little tubes all bike companies use and know it doesn't have to be what I use, but I'm also using
1 1/2 tubing and it would look silly with dinky tubing for the stays. its kinda a balance deal. I will try my normal straight
tubing triangle and see if it rides ok. If not then its scrap. I put a lot of rake in the neck ...may be too much anyway.

Yeah Peatbog if I do it like that and I still don't like it I could weld it on the tailgate of my truck and everybody will
think I'm really religious. :D :D

Just a mad idea (if I'm not too late), but is a half-moon shaped plate in the corners of the chainstays an option? It gives them strength and you can attach two taillights on the plates (one on either side,of course). Leave out the thin upper tubes, so it gets a cleaner look.

Wimpy , Luke is right. I would be more worried about where the tubing joins at the seatpost.
The real problem is I just don't like the look. I missed it on this one. My wife say's its fine but
when you get to where you don't like something then it needs to be changed. You know.
To thine own self be true. I think that was about whether you liked your frame build or not. :lol:

Yep,you guys have a point here. I totally overlooked this connection when I posted my reply. Half an hour later though......... :mrgreen:
But thou art right, if thee do not like the looks thyself, it has to be changed. No matter what the foreigner-with-the -big-moustache thinks. :wink:
Well,surprise me,then. You can do it.

Yeah Wimpy its one of those To be or not to be deals....and it looks now like its a not to be.
i will try to fix it with a traditional rear triangle, and if that doesn't work.....PORTABANDSAW TIME :shock: :shock: :shock:
Probably not today. I'm going to play with my new 7 speed hubs.

All of my frames now fit a 100 mm wide rim. They are 5 1/4'' wide inside to inside. Almost too much
but it was the tightest die they make for my bender. :wink: Still up in the air about the direction.

cut a "T" out of some 1/4" plate and weld in across the bottom of the seat tube and onto the chain stays. make it about 1/2" wide and it would never be noticable and you would have to hit it with a car to break the tubes at the connection. I use this method often when building frames for hotrods out of 2"x4" tube when its less that .25 thk wall.

Latest posts

Back