Fatty Schwinn ID needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

E I E I O
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey guys,
I’m admittedly a muscle bike ignoramus in need of an ID here. Let me know if you know what it is, when they were made and what one in new condition ought to realistically be worth.
Thanks so much,
Eric

3E23G83F65H75Jb5M6ccn1fff0312bab91591.jpg

3Gf3K23If5If5Kb5Jeccne26c8d3cd33c1302.jpg

ratina is right, it's a 'Manta Ray' released at the same time the OCC Sting Rays were made. The rear wheel/tire is the same as the 'regular' sized OCC, the front rim/tire is the same as the ones used on the 'baby' OCC.

Definitely a cool bike and on my list of 'cool to own', I'd love to have that springer for another build I'm working on.... :mrgreen:

Value? Tough to say. Due to the 'modern' low budget components....., in great shape, I'd say $150-$175.

If it were me, and the price was right, it would be in the 'Fresh Finds' section by now. :lol:

Good luck.
Cheers,
Dr. T

I went and grabbed this chubby little machine today and gave it a detail job. It had a few easy to touch up chips and the faux chrome on the grips was shot. I yanked all of the awful stickers off, nixed the reflectors, tossed on a pair of Felt grips and removed the cheesy chain guard.

It's good for now, but I’ll likely fiddle with it some more once I figure where I want to go with the look of it.

DSC01027.jpg

will anyone notice the front wheel is on backwards?

cool find!!

That is a fat little bike. Except for the seat. It looks too small for the bike, the rest of it is so fat. Didn't the original Manta have a really wide seat? Gary

B607 said:
That is a fat little bike. Except for the seat. It looks too small for the bike, the rest of it is so fat. Didn't the original Manta have a really wide seat? Gary

The camera angle in the picture above does not convey the true size of the seat. It is 8" wide and proportional to the rest of the bike.

DSC01028_zps3238bab3.jpg

Gary,
The original Manta Ray (1968?, I think) had a unique banana seat that was wider in the 'seat' area (they are rather rare and BIG dollars now). The OCC era model had a standard banana seat.

Note to self.....reproduce the wider one for wider riders.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back