Feast your eyez! on the $20 prize!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this cool cruiser last sunday at a flea market... tires were aired up and I rode it a little bit, hard to steer with the bars down like that but it looks so cool! Only thing missing was the original seat and the tank.

Can anyone identify this beauty??

DSC01782.jpg

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01784.jpg

cool.... you guys know what the tank is supposed to look like so I can find one?

I didn't know murray ever used 2 tubes on the top? I thought all theirs was a single large tube?

Might be a Hawthorne with the twin tubes...definitely a Murray product though with that chainring and pointed rear drop outs.

Nice find for $20!

I wasn't sure it was going to fit in my 59 olds... but my girlfriend was confident it would... sure enough it set in the back seat!!! :D

Looks to be the same frame as my MURRAY Supreme twin top tubes got tank on ebay no headlight plastic bezel but I don't like them anyway. Good deal.
dscf1807a.jpg

By xc204, shot with FinePix S5000 at 2009-08-23
I bent the rack bars at he seat post for better tire clearance if they look different to ya.

Cool, thanks XC.

Yep $20, I couldn't believe it when I asked. I tried for $15 but $20 was good so I loaded it up!! :D

Nice! Check the bottom bracket where the crank goes. If it has 'MOD 502' stamped on it, it was made for Sears. Murray simplified the frame to one top bar in the mid 60s, I think. They made that frame thru the late 80s at least! ~Adam

i picked up the same thing this weekend. my first thought was that it was a murray when i saw the chainring and pointy dropouts.
my buddy said he thought it was a JCHiggins, and onother guy thought it mite be a western flyer. another guy said it doesnt matter, they were all made by CWC anyhow.
when i got it home and looked at is closely i saw that it did have a lot of simillarities w/ my JCH(the top tube,head tube, the spacing of the headbadge rivits, BB and kickstand mount)
000_0002-6.jpg

000_0004-4.jpg

Mine has twin top tubes, I think yours is a little different cool just the same though!!!

Anyone know how to figure what year it is?

thanks!

my first thought was that it was a murray when i saw the chainring and pointy dropouts.
my buddy said he thought it was a JCHiggins, and onother guy thought it mite be a western flyer. another guy said it doesnt matter, they were all made by CWC anyhow.
It's somewhat complicated. Murray built bikes for Sears starting around 1938, Firestone in the late 40s-early 50s, and Western Auto at various points. The pointy rear frame dropouts and tri-oval sprocket are Murray hallmarks. The chainguard on the green bike pegs it as a JC Higgins. The fin style guard was used on all 58- late 60s Murray built bikes (for the most part). Bikes built for Sears have 'MOD 502' stamped before the serial#, Murray badged bikes have MO followed by a single digit indicating the year, Western Auto bikes have 'X10' in the #, and Gamble's (Hiawatha) have a 'WG'. Of course, there are many bikes that for some reason don't fit the usual patterns! Woof! ~Adam

Back