Featherweight Rollfast frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this men's Rollfast Twin Top frame at swap meet last weekend. Does anyone know anything about this frame? I have never seen a lightweight bicycle with this style of frame before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

544325cb9a1e393adfae7ea0f3018cdc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting frame with wide ballooner rear seat stays and a Space-liner-like top tube and dropouts!!!! Hmmm.:43:

I didn't know Rollfast had a lightweight that looked that good!
The Huffy 3 speed wheels and all should go right on there with no problem, maybe the same thing Rollfast used back then, shimano probably.

The earliest Snyder built Firestones are in a 1959 ad, shown in one og the Evolution of the bike books. I have a chrome framed ladies' bike, which generally arrived in 61. Also have a '63 Ward's catalog, which lists 'new styling' on their bikes, and the angular chain guard seen on the red 70s bike above. Not known when they stopped using the old style guard. Companies were trying to cover every corner of the market, and came up with these 'light middleweights', by fitting lightweight rims and fenders to a middleweight canti frame. They made them for several years, as I own an AMF w/a BMA/6 decal. -Adam

I'll go along with Firestone too.
What's unusual about this bike is it looks like a middleweight frame that was for 26 x 1.75wheels. It might be the same frame as horsefarmer's red one, but a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel is a little taller than 26 x 1.75, I wonder if the frame is a tiny bit larger, and maybe the forks longer for the skinny wheels. Probably not, same frame. With a coaster brake one speed, they didn't have to worry about handbrakes fitting properly.
Notice it came from the factory that way, it has skinny fenders on the wider frame. That's what I've never seen and can't find when searching around the internet. They either have a diamond lightweight style frame or wider tires on a middleweight frame.
So I think that's a fairly rare bike.

I'll go along with Firestone too.
What's unusual about this bike is it looks like a middleweight frame that was for 26 x 1.75wheels. It might be the same frame as horsefarmer's red one, but a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel is a little taller than 26 x 1.75, I wonder if the frame is a tiny bit larger, and maybe the forks longer for the skinny wheels. Probably not, same frame. With a coaster brake one speed, they didn't have to worry about handbrakes fitting properly.
Notice it came from the factory that way, it has skinny fenders on the wider frame. That's what I've never seen and can't find when searching around the internet. They either have a diamond lightweight style frame or wider tires on a middleweight frame.
So I think that's a fairly rare bike.
Yes, that is what is so puzzling.
firestone featherweight vs middleweight.jpg

Back