Felt Monster El Guapo build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the bike building game for about 30 years now and it's time to jump back in. I picked up this Felt last week and I'm ready to make it all mine.
Monster El Guapo.jpg

I'm joining a local shop where I will have access to a sandblaster and powder coating equipment, in addition to a whole shop full of equipment. I will be doing all of the work myself. My current plan is to powder coat the frame, fork legs, and chainguard with an undetermined color. I'll be looking for a bent seatpost and a nicer chainring. I would also like to switch to a 3 speed hub with some kind of stick shifter and probably powder coat the wheels.

Here's where she sits now.
El Guapo project.jpg

Waiting until I get back from vacation mid January to jump in.

I've made a bit of progress. I decided to reassemble the bike without powder coating, in an effort to make sure everything works before I start bolting parts onto a freshly powder coated frame. I started by replacing the rear hub with a Shimano Nexus 3 speed. It was my first ever wheel build. I noticed I didn't put the first spokes in the right place, so the valve stem is misplaced. Also it's not as true as I like ( I like em perfect) so all of this will be corrected when I tear the wheel back down for powder coating.

I also installed a 3-piece BMX splined crank and a lay-back seat post. I have a really cool 45 tooth aluminum front chainwheel, but I'll need to bore out the 19mm center hole to 24mm so I can make this work. I had to do some grinding on the right crank so it will fit inside the chainwheel (I know that sounds weird, but when I post a photo of the installed chainwheel it will all make sense) and I ground the right crank to match.

I've got a set of cream Thick Bricks, a set of cream Felt pedals and a set of shorty fenders on order from Motostrano.

I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do about a shifter. I'm leaning toward a Project 346 shifter mounted to the seat post ( I don't want a long cable running up the ape hangers). If you have any other suggestions, please share!

As far as color, I'm currently planning a bright green for the frame, fork tubes and wheels. The cranks, seat post and all of the bottom bracket/headset hardware will be powder coated flat black.

I have had a couple of bikes that I mounted the stick shift on the seat tube and it's really an easy shift in that location. I also think it look cool there. I used a Project 346 one there for Firewing. Just make sure you have the BB open when you drill the mounting holes and then clean it out really well unless you want metal shavings in you BB. Take a look at Firewing and starsNbars to see example of shifters in that location.

e80d024d78d25044a866d36ec00ada6c.jpg

Update: 3 piece crank, modified to fit an aluminum chainring that still needs to be drilled out from 19mm to 24mm. 3 speed rear hub and old school shifter. It's just mocked up to make sure everything works. The shifter will end up mounted elsewhere, but I have yet to finalize the design. Laid back seat post. Cream tires, cream pedals and shorty fenders on their way. Still thinking about colors.

7e5fb900ad3eacbaaf60294768902de6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sprocket is pretty sweet looking.

Let me know if you want to sell the white walls to help offset your upgrade expenses. ;)

I seen one of these inside of a grocery store... I think it was a promotional giveaway during the SuperBowl... where'd you get yours?

I REALLY like the teal color if that is what you are going to go for.

Unfortunately I'm really good at buying and not so good at selling. So I'll probably hold on to the tires for a while. I've located a set of the green El Guapo wheels I'm trying to get my hands on. I may just put the white walls on my New Belgium bike.

I got this bike off of craigslist. The guy told me he took it in trade for some work. So it's origin is unknown.

If your looking for a Layback seat post, member "slowriderz" machine's them to whatever your liking. he also does them in stainless if you request, they are bulletproof. They are fantastic! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one when it's finished.;)

Update. I got my shipment in from Motostrano. I installed the cream Quick Bricks, cream Felt pedals and shorty fenders. I grabbed a used set of bar ends to rig up the shifter and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still have a couple things to wrap up before I start tear down and powder coating everything. The goal is getting rid of as much black as possible.

3f65e0755ba371c3e1177c5c51e25e04.jpg

ea31bf7b56dee99f68552df9dba67441.jpg

Last edited:
It functions amazingly well. I was worried it would constantly be rubbing my leg. But with the shifter adjusted slightly down and back it doesn't touch even with my feet on the ground.

Latest posts

Back